Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners? >

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone
8.59%
I only root for my buddies to do well. I hope the rest get skunked.
14.11%
I hope they all enjoy a successful season and tag out.
55.21%
If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels!
18.40%
Less deer for everyone else = more deer for me.
3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I used to get all worried and fired up about who shot what in gun season. A lot of that was because people broke laws and/or were slobs. They shot illegal bucks, and if the deer didn't drop in sight they didn't bother to follow up on it.

But now a days, those things may or may not still happen, I just prefer not to know about it. I'll just go out the next season and work hard to find what did survive from the past season.

If you are a decent person and follow the rules, I hope you have a great time and get what you are after. If you are a scumbag and even if technically you don't break laws, but you act in a manner that gives good(properly behaving)hunters a bad name, I hope your gun jams and your shells misfire.

Now, to say that I'm not a little excited that few bucks were taken in my area this season, I would be lying.
Rybo that is it, LOL

Quick I am not going to lie, man did it used to bother me. I mean I was a nut case about it, LOL
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish some of my closest friends luck. I wish my landowner luck and even try to get him one but for the most part, anyone near or around any of my spots, I laughed my ass off when it rained all day but I really like rybo's post. I'd prefer not to know but I already was told the neighbor trespassed all over my honey hole where he is forbidden to go and he and I will have a heated face to face the very next time I find him anywhere in public.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 PM

I just hope they all kill does and miss bucks! LOL

I have several buddies that gun hunt. I always wish them luck and congratulate them when they return. They love hunting as much as I love bowhunting. I'm a bit more fortunate than them in some respects that I can take some additional time in Oct/Nov to persue what I love.

Ya' can't hold it all against 'em...just some of it.[8D]
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM

tag soup for all haha sukers
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM

No.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I gun hunt too, enjoy bow more but no prejudice...
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I support all legal means of hunting! More power to us ALL! Some of these posts where hunters are against hunters are pretty lame! [:'(] It seems like most bowhunt for the challenge, isn't the late season bowhunting even more of a challenge????
Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all in favor of any type of legal hunting.... That being said - I certainly don't want people that are hunting my general area to be successful (at least on big bucks)

Keep in mind that deer numbers are very low in my area, so there may only be one or two mature deer in a several mile area...

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at some of these posts? It seems like some people wouldn't mind one bit to see the neighbor pulling out of the field next to yours with a big booner in the back of his truck??? Are you guys for real???

Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

I'm all in favor of any type of legal hunting.... That being said - I certainly don't want people that are hunting my general area to be successful (at least on big bucks)

Keep in mind that deer numbers are very low in my area, so there may only be one or two mature deer in a several mile area...

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at some of these posts? It seems like some people wouldn't mind one bit to see the neighbor pulling out of the field next to yours with a big booner in the back of his truck??? Are you guys for real???
SDH - a lot of thepillowtalk in this thread is just a result ofguys trying to be PC and preservethe"I support allhunting"image. I'm sure thesame guys who say they're "rooting for everybody" - they'd rathereat broken glassthan see some stranger sitting in their favorite stand on opening day.

Let a carload of total strangersshow up on theopening day of gun season and ask for permission to hunt on their private land and see what they tell 'em... "Sorry fellas, but we're all filled up..."

I'd reckon if you asked the same question to the Drury brothers - they'd give the same PC b.s. response. "Oh yeah, we hope everybody has a great season." Then, ask them if you can sit in one of their best Iowa stands during the first week of November. LOL. See what they tell ya.

They hope you have a great season allright - agreat season someplacewhere they don't hunt, that is.

That's where the rubber meets the road. If I was to guess, I'd saythata high percentage of hunters fall into category #2. They look out for #1 first, and if they're lucky enough to tag out - they'll help out a buddy/family member. Outside that circle, they're hoping that every buck in the woods makes it through gun season.

I just conducted this poll to see someof the responses. I'm glad to see that a lot of you guys are honest enough to admit it.

Like I said before: I read the paper and log in here every day, and I've never seen any ads: "HELP! I tagged out in Archery Season! Great Stand Site now vacant! 150"+ Bucks! Gun hunters Needed ASAP! Free! Call me asap, before this stand cools off!"
Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 PM

What's with the hostility toward gun hunters for taking smaller bucks. I do both, and can say that I am more likely to pass on something during bow than gun season. The reason being that the gun season is like a week long. If I see one I'm dropping it, period. I try not to shoot button bucks, but I'm not going to cry about it. It's meat in the freezer. If I pass on a deer during archery season, I'm likely to see at least a few others later on.

I don't like to call people out on these messageboards, since it's ultimately pointless, but it bothers me when private land hunters bust on public hunters for shooting smaller deer. To most, any deer is a trophy, since most don't have the time to extensively scout an area before they start hunting, not to mention they have to compete with so many other hunters during gun season.

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.