Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bowhunters have rifle hunted? >

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

I love my rifles as well. I have not shot any thing with a rifle in years. Ill do it agian, just havent done it in a long time. I still shoot my guns and enjoy it. I will hunt hogs with my pistols, from time to time. But like I said, its been a long time since ive used one on an animal.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bry:

I've never used a big game (caliber) hunting rifle with a scope. But why would you need a scope (I'm just asking) for a 100yd shot (or so)?

Is that a fair question? I see people on TV shoot that distance with a ML and iron sights.
The same reason you would have a sight on your bow.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Get yourself a shotgun or muzzle loaderwith aniron sight, put out a bullseye target at 100yds, shoot at it without a rest (off hand) and report back with your results.
Now you go adding "off-hand" in there....lol. Guys..I'm watching the "You make the shot" segment, yesterday (TV hunting show)....and they discussed this very thing. The hunter had a rest. He was using a ML, iron sights.....and they said the 100yd shot wasn't that big of a deal. I don't know???? Don't care! Just figured they knew what they were taliking about.

I asked if the question was fair. I think it was.
No, it was a fair question and in some instances it is an easy shot.

I'll give you an example. My gun stand is a permanent structure set up over a field where deer move across it often. My stand is on a ridge and is easy to get silhouetted so I put up some plywood sides to it. They serve two purposes. One, the deer can't see me from my chest down and two the edge provides me with a great rest.

If I were to see a deer inside of 100yds It would be a fairly easy shot with iron sights. With my scoped slug gun add another 50yds to it. I also know the yardage over that fieldlike the back of my handas I've been hunting over it for close to 15 years now. So for me, in my situation, when a shooter deer presents itself I know instantly what yardage it is at (no matter where they appear) and have a stable platform to shoot from.

But there a lot of folks who don't have the luxury I do and put up the same stands they use (as do I) for bow hunting that have nothing to rest their gun on making that 100yd shot not so easy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are far too many variables to take into consideration to just say a 100 yard shot is easy with an iron sighted firearm.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

The same reason you would have a sight on your bow.
What sight?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Oops, my bad, i thoguht i saw one in your avatar....
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

What a nice quiver. Custom made?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

You did....and I use that bow as well. My question was for a shot of 100yds (with a rifle).

If you asked me why I'd need a sight on my bow for a shot of 15yds.....I'd say I wouldn't.

What a nice quiver. Custom made?
We ate pickles for 6 years to get it!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably because the scope increases both accuracy and precision at just aboutany range, just a guess though.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

I like the scope for crosshairs it don't get better with a gun put the cross behind the shoulder and BAM
Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

I've killed ten with the rifle andgot my first one with the bow this year. It was a lot of fun. The reason I started bowhunting is to extend my season. All of the deer I got with the rifle I could have gotten with the bow too. There aren't any shots much further than 50 yards in Northern Minnesota. (not saying I would ever shoot with a bow over 35 yards)

Quick Reply: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.