Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worms

Old 12-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Worms

I forgot to askyou folks this question the other day. We found some little white round worms about 1/2" in lengthand thesize of a pencil head in diameter inside the back straps of the deer while we were butchering it. The worms were actually in the meat, we pulled them out of a little hole they had made. This was a little buck he shot (1 1/2 year old). The rack was very tiny, he figured it was a good one to get out of our woods. He weighed 115 lbs, smallest buck weight wise i've ever seen in Minnesota. When we skun it out there wasn't an oz. of fat anywhere what so everon this little buck. He hasn't ate any of ityet, he's kind of waiting to hear what others have to say first.Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Worms

Never seen worms in deer. I'd be hesitant to eat it. Or at least the part the worms were in.

Hopefully someone knows. You may ask a local butcher.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:16 AM

meningeal worm? Dunno sir but sounds like a nasty find.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Warble fly or bot fly

The warble flies, also called heel flies, or bomb flies, parasitize cattle and other animals. The larvae, called cattle grubs or cattle maggots, penetrate the skin of the host immediately after hatching; they migrate through the flesh, causing irritability, loss of weight, and decreased milk production, and then settle under the skin of the back, producing cysts, or warbles. Breathing holes made in the warbles by the larvae damage the hide.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:41 PM

My uncle said you throw that meat away and contact the department offish and game to get a new tag.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lubricious

Warble fly or bot fly

The warble flies, also called heel flies, or bomb flies, parasitize cattle and other animals. The larvae, called cattle grubs or cattle maggots, penetrate the skin of the host immediately after hatching; they migrate through the flesh, causing irritability, loss of weight, and decreased milk production, and then settle under the skin of the back, producing cysts, or warbles. Breathing holes made in the warbles by the larvae damage the hide.
How sure are you? Is this a common thing? I've never seen this before, i've butchered a ton of deer, thats why it has my attention as much as it does! Is there anything else it could be? And if what you said is right, can it be eaten?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were they moving Schultzy?? I thoughtBot fly was from the tropics.. Could they have been some sort of cyst.

MAYBE... They were giant white heads that just needed a good popping. You know like an adolescent with zits.

PS.. You can have my share.. LOL
Old 12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im positive and no way I would ever eat that deer. Im not sure how common it is.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd contact DEC and tell them your plight. At a minimum, I wouldn't eat it. If you found them in a ribeye from the grocery store would you eat it???? I think not. I would have saved a couple of the worms too for show and tell. I'm sure you'd have gotten a new tag and you may still.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, thanks for the info guys! Tomorro my brother and I are going to the DNR headquarters here in Minnesota to talk with them. I talked with the CO in my area and thats what he reccomended me to do. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Worms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.