Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long does a deer need to lay? >

How long does a deer need to lay?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long does a deer need to lay?

Old 12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default How long does a deer need to lay?

I shot a good one this morning at about 8:00 and I hit him pretty far back. I've got blood & intestine on the arrow. He jumped back a couple of steps when I hit him and then he walked off real slow. I grunted and he stopped and looked and then walked off slow again. I eased out of there about 45 min later. We're gonna go look for him at about 6 o'clock after everybody is out of the woods. Anyway....do you think that he's been layed up long enough?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Spike

Default RE: How long does a deer need to lay?

i hit one a few years ago and let him lay for about 3 hours and then push him because there were alot of guys in there turkey hunting i tracked him about 1mile just find little drops of blood...36 hr later i found him... i might let him lay for a while longer if the weather is fine ...coyotes might have found him to and got him up.... good luck hope you find him
Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Go get him Congrats he probaly dead
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

If I find him I'll try to post a picture on here if I can figure out how. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2272257
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the article link Rob. I feel terrible that I made the animal suffer and I just want to recover him.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should be ok although i've seen them alive yet the next morning 12 hrs later when we began to track again. If the weather permits it i'd hold off until tomorro morning the more I think about it. I've never lost a gut shot animal yet that i've tracked of my own or for someone else. If you treat it right you will recover it as long as no coyotes, dogs, or anything doesn't push it. Good luck!!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree if its cold enough go in the morning . its probably dead but i'd be sure plus it will be easied in the light
Old 12-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Our land is covered in coyotes. That's another reason that I would like to try and recover him before tomorrow. I'll be lucky if they haven't found him yet. The one thing I have going for me is that it's daylight and there are hunters in and out of the woods, so hopefully this will ward off the coyotes today.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

And it's 75 degrees here right now and it's supposed to be 78 tomorrow.

Quick Reply: How long does a deer need to lay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.