Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 matthews or hoyt? >

matthews or hoyt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

matthews or hoyt?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: matthews or hoyt?

Probably the wrong site to ask about any other company besides Bowtech.

But between Hoyt and Mathews, I'll take Hoyt every day of the week and twice on Sunday [8D]

Old 12-08-2007, 08:19 AM

I personally would go with hoyt just because they offer more options on cams and adjustability. I like a system that can be tweaked a little. I am not overly thrilled with the draw length specific cam on the mathews bows.

I have a single cam on my Bowtech but it has some adjustability to it as far as valley, let off and draw length. I really liked the CPS cams that were on my Darton, and the cams that are on my girlfriends Rintec seem pretty nice as well.

I also like the thin grips on the Hoyts as well. I was going to get a hoyt before I shot the Mighty Might.

Paul
Old 12-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

So just how much extra are we paying for the big names? Who do you think is paying for all the TV shows, commercials and advertising that these two companies are doing? Does having that big name on your bow impress the deer you're shooting at?
Do you want to shoot a bow made by the company with the best advertising budget or do you want to shoot the best bow for you? Now you don't get to the top of the food chain by selling crappy products, and both companies make good bows, but so do a lot of other companies. I had a Hoyt a few years ago, I bought it because it was the best feeling bow to me that year. Unfortunately it felt good, but didn't shoot good. I had more problems with that bow then all the rest I've owned before or since. Why? Because where I bought it from was more interested in making money than providing a good bow tech service. Who you buy from, and who sets up and tunes the bow is much more important than what name is on the bow. The best bow in the world isn't worth diidly squat if it's set up and tuned by a moron! Once I figured that out and took my Hoyt to a different bow shop, all my problems were solved with 1 visit. Who you buy from maybe more important than what you buy. It took a Parker dealer to set up my Hoyt to shoot straight.
That just happens to be the best tech in MY area. Since then, I traded my Hoyt for a Parker and am very happy with it AND the customer service that goes with it. It maybe that the Hoyt or Mathews dealer has the best service in your area, or maybe someone else. My advice to anyone looking for a new bow is much the same as what the others are saying, go shoot as many as you can and while you're trying to find that bow that feels the best, you're also shopping for the best combination of quality equipment with quality service. Quality service is the more important of the two as most all American bow makers have quality products.
One of the clues that I got that told me to look for another bow shop was when the Hoyt dealer told me,"There's no need to paper tune any bow that I set up. We don't paper tune anything here." I went to the Parker dealer that same day, and ripped a 4" hole on paper at 10 yards! The bow tech then shot it himself and ripped a bigger hole. After 1 full year of fighting with my Hoyt and Hoyt dealer, the Parker dealer had it shooting bullet holes in less than 1 hour and I never had a problem with it after that. By no means am I saying all Parker techs are better than Hoyt techs or any other brand. Instead of asking what brand you should buy, ask who in your area is going to give you the best service?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hmthtrfan

This is what I am talking about....like Buffinator has ANY IDEA AT ALL what the best bow for itchyfinger is. Does he know that the Mathews is the endall bow for itchyfinger? NO. Noone will know that except itchyfinger, if and when itchyfinger goes to a proshop and shoots....

Its great that Buffinator loves Mathews, and that it works great for him, but "go get a mathews and don't touch another thing" is not the right advice to give someone.
but my advice sure gave you something to bitch about, so it's nice knowing that someone cared enough to comment on it. I got a Switchback XT less than a year ago, and I sure as heck text fired every model of bow in the store. IMO, the Switchback and Drenalin outperformed the Hoyt's I shot, and I didnt even like the Drenalin. Get off your high horse. That is all.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Host of Hosts

I'd have to say HOYT.... just because I like to see the Mathews boys throw a fit.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

its not the I was picking on you, so my bad if it ruffled your feathers. I was really commenting on the state of the union of the site. Its like every noob has the SAME question, "which is better x or y." and the answers are for the most part just as useless. thats all.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I understand, but it seemed strange that you didn't bring that up against anyone else who said Hoyt.

*Sorry my post had to be edited.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buffinator

I understand, but it seemed strange that you didn't bring that up against anyone else who said Hoyt.

*Sorry my post had to be edited.
wasn't a matter of hoyt or not hoyt, just a luck of the draw that your post was the next one inline. I personally shoot hoyt, but have also shot bowtech, pse, mathews. the hoyt felt the best for me everytime. if the bowtech or mathews or pse fells better when its time to buy a new one (coming on fast :-) ) then thats the one I will shoot.