Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Retire your arrows or call them lucky? >

Retire your arrows or call them lucky?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Retire the arrow as it was found
13.73%
Retire the arrow, but clean it off
5.88%
reuse the arrow next season, could be lucky
69.61%
I've never taken a deer yet with a bow.
10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Retire your arrows or call them lucky?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Retire your arrows or call them lucky?

Shoot till they are useless. However the most I have taken with one arrow was one yote and two deer. the coyote bit it in half before expiring and that was that

I have not taken more than one animal with a single arrow that I can recall other than that. of course, between seasons they may get a little mixed up even though I try to mark them.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, if it is lucky, I want to use it as long as possible, sometimes the next day (after shooting it to make sure it is still OK).
Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM

So far, I have retired all mine - place the arrow and broadhead, still covered with dried body fluids and hair, with the mount - usually across the G2's. If I ever get desperate for arrows, I can always pull these down from the wall and use them. But I have no real superstition about an individual arrow.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I throw them away if they get damaged on a kill. Keep them and shoot them again if they aren't. Never have saved one.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get sentimental or superstitious about them.

With that said, I stash arrows away like a packrat. I always have good plans for them when I put them into the arrow storage box, but they never seem to get used. I'd imagine I probably have a good 8 arrows that I killed deer with and I put in there with intentions of cleaning up and shooting again, it just never happens because I changed hunting arrows, etc. I normally have 2x dozen arrows going into hunting season so I don't really need to reuse then for the current season ever, and by the next season I'm using something different.

Below is a pic of my arrow stash from a few months ago. It holds 7 dozen arrows and as you can see it's overflowing. It's grown since then.......that's part of why I gave those arrows away in my game camera contest. I suppose someday I will go through these and sort out what to sell/throw away/keep.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i reuse mine for target shooting
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

ive retired the 2 i have killed with
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

After a kill i check the arrow and make sure its ok then iwash it off put a new head on it and keep using it[&:].

Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM

I used to retire them, but as i got more involved i got betterarrows and they are too expensive to not use more than once. Now i just clean them off and use them again. I shot 2 deer with the same arrow last year, and would have used it again but the darn doe broke my arrow.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: RTA47

After a kill i check the arrow and make sure its ok then iwash it off put a new head on it and keep using it[&:].
Yep, me too.

To me it's just another tool of the trade...no need to get all misty eyed, sentimental or superstitious.

Quick Reply: Retire your arrows or call them lucky?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.