Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Entering Canada, Who's Gone from U.S. >

Entering Canada, Who's Gone from U.S.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entering Canada, Who's Gone from U.S.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Entering Canada, Who's Gone from U.S.

We went to New Brunswick, Canada the past two years. Its not hard at all. You will need a passport as of Jan 31, 2008. If you have a gun you need to fill out a gun declaration form. With a bow you dont need to. People cross the border all the time to go hunting, its a normal thing. You pull up to the booth and they ask what you are crossing for. You tell them you are going hunting for the week and where your going. They ask about weopons. Tell them. Dont ever lie. Then they will ask about alcohol and tobacco. One case of beer per person. If you are over they may tax you. We were over on the first trip and they didnt charge us. Cigarettes and beerare very expensive in Canada. When you shoot a deer you have to check it in at a deer registration place (local store) and they give you the paperwork to cross the border with. When you come back across the border you need to fill out another form for bringing the meat across. A lot of people think that it is a huge hassle. This year we were at the border 10 min headed into Canada and roughly 20 min comming back. It is totally worth it.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 99 I went over on a Bo hunt and all we had to do is tell the U.S. side we had the guns andReg them. On the way back all they lookedatwas the Racks.But Im sure things are differant today.CALL CUSTOMS EARLY AND GET ALL THE DETAILS.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Like others have said, get a passport for sure. It's about $125 and it's good for 10 years, not a bad deal. At border crossings, just be straight with them and have your papers ready. Get cocky and they can make you sit for hours or turn you away. People go over all day, everyday, no big deal, but do your homework. i would guess some bordertowns are easier than others. I just came back from Montreal with a 25' enclosed job trailer and it took all of 5 minutes to cross back. Try to pull a fast one and they can get you for it. Beer did cost a little more, but it's not worth the hassle of smuggeling more than you allowed. Heck, your there to hunt, not party all day right?
have fun and good luck!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will need a passport as of Jan 31, 2008.
You may want to check on that, I believe the passport requirement will go into effect Summer 2008. So far, the deadline has been pushed back everytime though (for a few years). I believe Bush has recently ordered a review of everything requiring the passport.

I believe that you will need federally accepted ID though such as a birth certificate after January 1, 2008. The passport law as I understand it will take place in Summer 2008 as it stands.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM

Here's the link for the passport issue....."summer 2008"

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html
Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

We travel by car from Buffalo to Ontario a few times a year. I wouldn't go without a passport (too easy to acquire one). I've also never taken a weapon of any kind.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Spike

I just got back from a Caribou hunt last week. You will need a passport to cross the border, and a firearms registration form ,you can download one or your outfitter may supply one. When you get to the border you must declair every firearm. They will send you inside to register your guns nad you will pay a registration fee. Mine was 27.00 Canadian. If you did not fill out the paperwork before hand you can fill it out there. Once you pay your fee this is the paper you will need if you get stopped for anything. On your way back into the States you will do the same declair your guns and tell them you are comming from a hunting trip. You will have to go inside and register your animals that you are bringing back to the States. Just be honest and polite and you should have no trouble.