Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

season results

Old 01-25-2003, 02:18 PM

Default season results

hey guys i dont post very often but ill tell ya how me and a couple other guys that i hunt with seasons went. started off on a bad note by missing a big 8 on opening morning (oct 1) but made up for it with a perfect hit on a doe opening evening!! both shots were from the same stand. that was on a monday and didnt hunt again til saturdayday morning (oct 5) and had four does come by but couldnt get a shot through all the limbs and leaves so i passed. they came back by about 5 mins later and i shot the last one in the group and made a perfect heart shot on her. that deer was also shot from the same stand as the others. didnt really hunt hard again until about the first week of november and again hunted the same stand and i had a pretty big non-typical come into about 30 yds (didnt find out he was this close until it was too late for a shot) he didnt stay very long and then when he was leaving the only shot i had was 40 yds and just didnt feel right to take it. passed on several more small bucks from that stand and didnt see another big one until about november 13 somewhere around that date. i was getting ready to rattle and i just caught movement and saw a deer coming so i got ready and it turned out to be a little 8. even though he was too small to shoot i was really impressed with him. good mass, spread, length, and really dark antlers but just wasnt quite big enough. he passed by at 20 yds and when we got out of sight i heard another deer coming so i got ready and it was one of the big boys but i hadnt seen this one b4. he stopped at about 30 and then turned and went straigt away so i got out my grunt call and as soon as he heard it he began so circle downwind so i got ready for the shot and as soon as he came into the shooting lane i stopped him and settle the 30 yd pin right on him and released. when the arrow was in flight i hear the whistling of my vane that meant it was not glued to the arrow all the way and he heard it too and ducked and the arrow caught him very high and far back. i think i just grazed him on top of his back but i took up the trail at about 5 and looked til 9 or 10 and then returned again the next morning about looked for close to three hours and didnt find any blood at all and went to look again that evening for a couple more hours and never saw any blood. the arrow had sticky white stuff on it and just the tiniest smear of blood on the tip of the vane and thats it!! never seen the deer again after that. hunted in a different spot a couple days later and saw the biggest deer of my life and had him at 18 yds!!!!! prolly 23" wide and perfect 8!!!! jumped him and one little buck on the way in and as soon as i sat down he came back but wouldnt look away so i could draw and he eventually trotted off (i was on the ground). opening day of shotgun came and at the last minute decided to go to a buddies farm right down the road from my house. got there prolly 2 hours b4 light cuz i thought it would take me at least 45 mins to find the stand in the dark cuz i have never hunted it b4 and i found it in the first 5 mins!! anyway didnt see anything from 6-7 and then at 7:05 a deer came out of the bottom heading right for me so i got my gun and looked through the scope and saw that it was a doe so when she got to about 40 yds i shot her and she ran about 40 yds and bedded down by this little creek. she didnt die right away so i waited about 3 or 4 mins and decided i was going to shoot her again from the stand instead of get down and go to her. anyway as i was raising my gun i heard something where she came from and looked and saw antlers so i looked closer and saw he was a shooter and when he got to the same spot where i shot the doe i stopped him and dropped him in his tracks with one shot. hit him in the spine and had to shoot him again and the doe was dead the whole time but she looked alive cuz she died with her head up against a log so it looked like she bedded down. the buck was a 8 with a 17" spread and pretty good mass ill post pics in a couple days. didnt really hunt again except for once and i missed a coyote at 15 yds with my bow!!! dont ask me how but i just did. the buddy that let me hunt at the farm during shotgun killed a doe about late october and another buddy killed a button during shotgun season. all together i think we had 9 deer come off our property (about 600 or 700 acres). all in all we had a good season, a lot of missed for the other guys but had a good year. did have one downside and that was one guy shot a doe and crippled her and we tracker for hours and then his dad decided to quit and the deer was laying about 50 yds further i found her a week later she was laying right by the guy that shot her when we were pushing the woods trying to drive her out, he never saw her. he hit her it the hip and she quit bleeding. sorry its so long next year ill post as the season goes on.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:06 PM

Default RE: season results

sounds like you had a good season. congrats!
i had an awsome season until the rut got going. i ended up with 4 does and a nice indiana 6 point all with bow. seems like when the rut started i started missing. i missed 3 deer with my bow and 1 with my shot gun. i do not usually miss i do not know what the prob was i do not think i can practice more than i do but something was deffinatly wrong. oh yea one of my doe's were stolen boy dose that tick me off. it is the first deer that i did not recover i know who stole her but that is a nother story. all in all i am happy with my season except for the missig.