Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting for a career? >

Hunting for a career?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting for a career?

Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting for a career?

Who did you play for in B? We won the SW region and were at nationals in 98.
T.R. Mulligan's / Bulls out of Charleston, SC. Same team that played "C" in '99.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Since I was sort of mentioned I'll TRY to give my .02....

Hunting is not a career for me....close, but not. Full time I own a bear hunting and fishing camp in Ontario Canada. Its balls to the walls in the outdoors 16 hrs per day from Mid April to the end of September....I don't consider it a job, more of a lifestyle. Doing this has provided me the opportunity to hunt a ton in the fall....my passion.

This year, after Joey asked me, I decided to throw another challenge into the mix and begin filming......for fun.....not looking to gain anything monetarily (yeah I can't spell) I have found it to be an absolute blast! Not only will I have the memories on film, but I will get to share my experiences and knowledge with others.

I don't and won't consider it as a career.....more or less a lifestyle. It wouldn't be for everyone and it takes a lot of questioning yourself to determine if you really want to do it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Right on. For me it's not about making it a career or even make money. Just like most of the average Joe hunters, i've neverhunted with guides, don't own big farms or even hunt on leases... It's about doing what I love to do with what I'm given. It has been my passion for a long time and my lifestyle even longer. Filming the hunt brings a whole new aspect & challenge to hunting that I enjoy. And since my wife is with me 95% of the time when I'm hunting, it's makes it that much more enjoyable, since i'm able to spend quality time with her in the outdoors.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to get involved in engineering analyses for hunting companies such as broadhead manufacturers, bow manufacturers, etc. I do weapon lethality and target (including humans)vulnerability analyses for the government so it wouldn't be much of a stretch and how much fun would it be to get to test everything!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know guys, I sit here at work all day thinking about hunting, posting on this forum, and thinking about the next time I'll be able to hunt. I put in countless extra hours preparing to hunt, taking time away that I could spend with my family. Then while hunting I put countless hours in on stand taking more time away from the family. If you told me I could take all of those hours that I currently sacrifice willingly from my family and not have to schedule them around a full-time job, and that you would pay me for it, and send me to places that I otherwise would never get to hunt. Well, I'd jump on that opportunity in a second.

I'm glad to seethe rest of you wouldn't because that'll be less competition for the job when it comes around.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I don't know guys, I sit here at work all day thinking about hunting, posting on this forum, and thinking about the next time I'll be able to hunt. I put in countless extra hours preparing to hunt, taking time away that I could spend with my family. Then while hunting I put countless hours in on stand taking more time away from the family. If you told me I could take all of those hours that I currently sacrifice willingly from my family and not have to schedule them around a full-time job, and that you would pay me for it, and send me to places that I otherwise would never get to hunt. Well, I'd jump on that opportunity in a second.

You make some great points. I also believe we are looking at 2 totally different aspects of the industry...the technical and the hunting part. Personally, the technical...no thanks. Hunting....hell yeah.

Here was my revelation today......

My family owns 3 grocery and 2 hardware stores. I was sitting in my brothers office and people were coming to him with all sorts of different questions and problems.....I looked at him and said "Damn, am I glad I moved to Canada."

There is no way I could sit indoors. When I am having a bad day and I start to feel like camp and the outdoors are becoming a job......I call my brother, talk hunting for a bit, hang up and grin from ear to ear....
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to make a distinction with the question originally posed.I would not want to hunt for a living if I had to do so under someone else's terms.if I had to promote products I didn't believe in or pass up shots at once in a lifetime animals because the camera person can't see the animal in the same manner I can.Go to camps I didn't want to go to,hunt with folks I may not want to hunt with etc..Scouting and Hunting is my time and I want to do it in the manner that Ichoose to.
I believe that when something becomes a have to it loses a lot of it's appeal.Like others here I had been involved in competetive athletics for a lot of my life,I was a three night a week and tournaments on weekends modified fast pitch softball player.When it got to the point where I was changing my clothes while driving to the games because of my business committments being what they are,I said to myself this is crazy,this isn't fun any more!
If I was Wealthy and single I would scout and hunt two to three times the amount I do now which for deer is about 30 days a year.As it stands though I can't in good conscience take that time away from my family,or my business.
If I could put in the same 50 to 55 hours a week that I work nowhunting locally and see my family at the beginning and at the end of every day and accomplish financially what I wished to than I would do it in the blink of an eye.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Spike

I firmly believe if you truly love what your career is (not just like or like alot) I mean TRULY love what your doing, you'll never work a day in your life. Sure it's alot of work, if you will, but well worth the effort. I would jump at an opportunity in a heartbeat if it was something that I could do to support my family and be happy doing it!!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a heartbeat if I ran the show or if it was my style of bow hunting!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Earlier in the thread people said it would get old....HOW?

Isn't hunting an adventure everytime you go out?

I'ld love to host a show.You get to hunt all year around for more things than just Deer....heck you can hunt so much that you couls go for a Super Slam!!

I film,produce,and edit and I'm 14.I even made of list of cources I'm going to take after H.S for filming.I've talked to big names like Scott Peterson of Backland Experiences,Micheal Waddell of Realtree Roadtrips,Paul Biggs of Big Time Outdoors and Own The zone TV,and Steve Scott of Safaris Outdoor Journal.I've been filmed by Reality Outdoor Productions..Knights Reality Check TV.I've met Harold Knight and David Hale.I'm also going to Realtrees Shop this summer to mee Bill,David,Micheal,and T-Bone.
I've gotten into hunting mainly myself and If I can accomplish that then everyone else could!
I think hunting is a passion...and doing it everyday is fine by me...who wants to sit in a office all day?? NOT ME
All I'm saying is being in the Outdoor Industry is morethan a job..its an adventure!!

Thats my 2 cents!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I've had the chance to and at one time seriously thought I wanted to work in the hunting/archery industry as a career path. Not in a "Pro Hunter" role, but in other aspects involving marketing/sales. I turned the opportunity down and now after knowing several people that have been there......I've decided a normal 9-5 job that pays me well enough to hunt hard now, and to retire young is really the best fit for me. I wouldn't change anything, except I'd love maybe another week of vacation per year to help better balancevacation between family/hunting.
Couldn't have stated my own opinion better!

Quick Reply: Hunting for a career?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.