HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Going shorter on the DL (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/220565-going-shorter-dl.html)

GMMAT 12-02-2007 11:35 AM

Going shorter on the DL

I have shot both my previous bows at 29".....but I'm gonna give a 28" draw a chance. I ordered my new Airborne in 28" draw.

My thinking is....I'm overdrawn a little (limited experience, though). I think I just need to shoot a 28" for a while and see how it goes. Are there any "negatives" with going to a shorter DL...(if, in fact, that's not what you really need)?

Here's one reason I think I'm overdrawn.

Matt/TN 12-02-2007 11:45 AM

RE: Going shorter on the DL

Draw length to a point is more of a comfort thing for me. No matter what draw length I shoot, I pull the string to the same place in my face everytime. If my draw length gets to short, I can't papertune at all. I push out with my bow aretoo much.

When I ordered my Hoyt, I ordered a 28.5" draw. I am roughly 5' 9"-5' 10", but I seem to have really long arms. I got the bow and it "felt" ok to me. I went to try to paper tune it, and I just couldn't do it. I have pretty good form and a good grip. I just couldn't figure it out to save my life. So I just started playing. I tweaked the draw length out to 28 3/4 to 28 7/8 and perfecto. It felt even better to me, it tuned, and shot better too.

That's just me, I am shooting good with it and don't plan on going shorter.

Jimimac 12-02-2007 11:52 AM

I'm 5-10" and shoot a 28" draw. When I first started bowhunting I thought I was a 30" draw. Later on, I went down toa 29" draw. Now I'm shooting 28" and that's where it's been at now for 8 years or so. For me, I justprefer the shorter draw length because it forces me into a more open stance which I like.

travisville 12-02-2007 11:54 AM

I think that I'm way over. I find myself completely extending my arm. Do you have to take it to the shop or can you adjust it yourself on a Diamond?

TeeJay 12-02-2007 11:55 AM

I shortened mine 4 years ago. It really helps in cold weather when your sleave is all bulked up.

TeeJay 12-02-2007 11:56 AM

Jimmi 20 years ago I think we were all 30" draws.

Jimimac 12-02-2007 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Jimmi 20 years ago I think we were all 30" draws.
lol No doubt man. We were all that way. Still managed to kill deer when I wasn't killing my forearm with the string.:D

TFOX 12-02-2007 12:02 PM

You LOOK slightly overdrawn in the picture but not quite an inch to me.But when going shorter,you can put a little longer loop on and be dead on,just as I have done.

Your form is pretty good andI know you haven't asked so if you would like my opinions,just ask.I would bet Rob will tell you the same as I would though.

There are definate drawbacks to being too short on draw.It is very hard to get the proper front shoulder load as it is with too long of a draw and it is imossible to maintain proper alignments and this can cause left and right arrows just as too long can do.

But in most cases for hunting,it is better to be too short than too long.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-02-2007 12:04 PM

All my Hoyts through the years were 29" draws. When I ordered my Allegiance I realized I am not a 29" draw anymore. I got it in a 28.5" draw but what some of you aren't mentioning are the loops now which increase the lengths. With my Allegiance, this is my first loop bow as well which brings me right back to about a 29" draw. My Marquis and General came in at 29" so I ordered both 28 and 28.5 in modules just to get comfortable with them. I know for a fact that with the General at 29" and a loop, way too long.

TeeJay 12-02-2007 12:06 PM

The days of the finger nail polish collored 10,15,20 yd pins....lol