HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Anybody else count gunshots? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/220395-anybody-else-count-gunshots.html)

GMMAT 12-01-2007 08:50 AM

Anybody else count gunshots?

In my little "unpressured" area......I counted 19, this morning. 21, last morning sit.

How many shots do you usually hear in a morning sit, this time of year? I got out of my stand at 9:15.

buckeye 12-01-2007 09:32 AM

RE: Anybody else count gunshots?

Sitting here in the house I have heard I would guess 12-15 relatively close shots this morning. I just got back in a couple minutes ago, my step dad was hunting behind my house this morning and he shot a 1.5 y/o 5 pointer. I heard two more semi close shots while dragging his deer back to his truck for him as well.

Our first gun season ends tomorrow, well second gun season if you count theyouth gun season.
[/align]

live2Draw 12-01-2007 09:35 AM

Yeah, NE Ohio has been kinda slow this year. The rain and the wind have kept em at bay a little bit.

Deleted User 12-01-2007 09:42 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

peakrut 12-01-2007 09:54 AM

Every morning of the gun opener (Saturdays) here in Wiwhile on my stand I do count up until aboutnoon.
I hunt public company timberland and this year my count was right about 68 shots.
I wish I would of counted on Sunday also because it sure seemed a lot more then years past.
I assume this being the bow forum you were bow hunting while gun deer season was going on?

GMMAT 12-01-2007 10:07 AM

Yeah. I don't gun hunt (nothing against it).....and I always find it interesting to see how many shots I hear. If I can hear them....they're likely hunting the same deer I am.

Am I still hunting "unpressured" deer.....??;)

Germ 12-01-2007 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Sitting here in the house I have heard I would guess 12-15 relatively close shots this morning. I just got back in a couple minutes ago, my step dad was hunting behind my house this morning and he shot a 1.5 y/o 5 pointer. I heard two more semi close shots while dragging his deer back to his truck for him as well.
Our first gun season ends tomorrow, well second gun season if you count theyouth gun season.

[/align]
Tell him Congrats!!!

No I do not, I am too busy hunting;)or jumping deer:eek:

Paul L Mohr 12-01-2007 10:10 AM

I don't count total shots in a day, but I will count consecutive shots. Always makes me laugh to myself when I hear someone shoot, then a second later I hear 3 or 4 more quick ones. I can't think of anything where I live where it would take 4 or 5 shots from a 12 or 20 ga to kill it.

Paul

peakrut 12-01-2007 10:11 AM

I would say pressured, coming from other area's and would come to your area maybe as a safe haven.
But they would be more on heightened alert then they would be without the gun hunters. Also depends how
much they been pressured during bow season from other properties. But chances are from this point to the end of the season yes you are hunting pressured deer.

11pt 12-01-2007 10:31 AM

I would say pressured, coming from other area's and would come to your area maybe as a safe haven.
But they would be more on heightened alert then they would be without the gun hunters. Also depends how
much they been pressured during bow season from other properties. But chances are from this point to the end of the season yes you are hunting pressured deer.
Ditto. I hunt open farm country and I see deer cover the better part of a mile in minutes as though its no big deal. If you hunt open country and can hear the shots clearly you can probably bet that whatever deer just got shot has probably been in your neck of the woods.

As far as counting shots....I usually try not to count. WhenI'm sitting and staring at anarea that might as well be a nuclear test range because it is apparently devoid of all life (especially deer) I find that I don't like to listen to the sounds of other people's success.