Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunter safety system >

Hunter safety system

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunter safety system

Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunter safety system

I know there are 3 models out there, which one do most of you use. I am going to buy one tomorrow and not sure what one to get, any recomdations would be great
Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunter safety system

To be honest....I bought the Pro Mesh.....thinking it would be cooler in the warmer part of the early season. No dice. Next year....I'm going to wear a strap type harness until it gets cooler.

I'd get the cheaper model if I had it to do over. 'Course....I got the Pro Mesh on sale for $90.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got the pro series for me and my son.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

What ever you get just make sure we wear it correctly. There was a bow hunter near here that feel out of his tree stand and was asphyxiated. Sounded like a part of the harness got to tight around his chest and he was too high up in the tree for immediate rescue when the farmer first found him.

The farmer said “I will call 911 for you” and the hunter replied “I don’t have time for 911, I need a ladder.” The farmer ran back to get a ladder and returned to find the hunter hanging motionless. The ladder was still to short, the hunter was helpless. His arms were stuck above his head so he couldn’t get to his knife or a release.

I was not at the scene but one of my employees was who is a Firefighter/EMT and they told me all about it. I don’t know if the harness failed or was used incorrectly but please make sure you read the directions.

I plan on getting one of these devices as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

it just goes to show even though you wear one, doesnt always mean its a lifesaver. Always be sure to properly adjust straps to fit and wear properly
Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I agree! From what it sounds like is that some parts of the straps were to lose and slipped up to high but like I said I was not there.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: L. Clement

What ever you get just make sure we wear it correctly. There was a bow hunter near here that feel out of his tree stand and was asphyxiated. Sounded like a part of the harness got to tight around his chest and he was too high up in the tree for immediate rescue when the farmer first found him.

The farmer said “I will call 911 for you” and the hunter replied “I don’t have time for 911, I need a ladder.” The farmer ran back to get a ladder and returned to find the hunter hanging motionless. The ladder was still to short, the hunter was helpless. His arms were stuck above his head so he couldn’t get to his knife or a release.

I was not at the scene but one of my employees was who is a Firefighter/EMT and they told me all about it. I don’t know if the harness failed or was used incorrectly but please make sure you read the directions.

Thats really tragic. I hate hearing about hunters getting killed like that i would have tried to do anything i could have just as the farmer did... my question is how did the guy get into the tree or was he in a climber? You should always wear one.. ive hunted without before and i hate it.

Ryan.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

ORIGINAL: L. Clement

Thats really tragic. I hate hearing about hunters getting killed like that i would have tried to do anything i could have just as the farmer did... my question is how did the guy get into the tree or was he in a climber? You should always wear one.. ive hunted without before and i hate it.

Ryan.
Yes he was in a climber, and things obviously went wrong and then got worse. He was trying to be safe IMO took a lot of precautions. I really feel for his family and that farmer who tried to do everything he could but still came up short.

He must have been pretty high, but I don’t know how tall that ladder was that was to short.

In the very least it was a good lessen for us all.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a HSS vest and have worn it about 2 times. I hate it. I bought a seat of the pants harness and like it much better.

Quick Reply: Hunter safety system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.