Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunter safety system >

Hunter safety system

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunter safety system

Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunter safety system

ORIGINAL: L. Clement

What ever you get just make sure we wear it correctly. There was a bow hunter near here that feel out of his tree stand and was asphyxiated. Sounded like a part of the harness got to tight around his chest and he was too high up in the tree for immediate rescue when the farmer first found him.

The farmer said “I will call 911 for you” and the hunter replied “I don’t have time for 911, I need a ladder.” The farmer ran back to get a ladder and returned to find the hunter hanging motionless. The ladder was still to short, the hunter was helpless. His arms were stuck above his head so he couldn’t get to his knife or a release.

I was not at the scene but one of my employees was who is a Firefighter/EMT and they told me all about it. I don’t know if the harness failed or was used incorrectly but please make sure you read the directions.

I plan on getting one of these devices as well.

This sounds more like the result of wearing a belt system, not a full body harness.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 AM
Bartender

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=79336&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults
If you need a reversable to blaze orange. No need for the pro series unless cash is no concern.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=79341&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults
Usually goes on sale for 54.99. (I have this one)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=62720&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults
Pro series
Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Bartender

I just noticed something on the description for these systems that states For use with ladder and climbing treestands only. Any Idea's? They mean a climber not something like a lone wolf for example?

On the cabelas.com website:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0032878416871a&type=product&cm Cat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=hunter+safety&N=488 7&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1 &Ntt=hunter+safety&noImage=0
Old 12-01-2007, 05:52 AM

I remember back when I started treestand hunting and practically no one wore a safety belt. Waist belts were commonfor those who actually used them, not knowing at the time that the waist belt mightkill you in a fall.

Now I can't imagine not wearing my safety harness. This is one area of hunting where true progress has been made in both the equipment and the awareness to use it.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Bartender

Amen bro
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks a bunch guys. I have been using one for a while but i want one of these, of to the local pro shop.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 AM

Hey FRALEY,

How much does the vest system you have weigh? One review I saw, the guy said it weighs like 30 pounds. I can't believe that's right.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

What an awful story and a rough way to go. As tough is it was on the hunter I think of the family still here and still dealing.

I will admit to wearing theywaist style restrain but I tuck it up under my arms and keep it very short. Just enough room to stand up and sit down. Not the best I know but I won't fall far if I do at all. (excuses) Just stay away from those long black nooses you loop around the tree and then around yourself.

It's a lot like the guys who don't wear seat belts ( I try to) because the car could burst into flames and they could not get out if the belt failed.It sounds like this poor guy tries to do everything right which is even a bigger kick in the face.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

ORIGINAL: L. Clement

This sounds more like the result of wearing a belt system, not a full body harness.
I agree with this thinking. A HSS is a full body harness, and I don't see how it could have killed the guy that way, it's a shame to say the least. I've heard you can die just from hangingupright for a long enough period of time. I think your blood eventually stops circulating from being in this position. Bring something to cut youself free.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The HSS vest looks like a very safe, versatile piece of equipment. Now, if the goobers who make it would offer Predator camo or Enigma or ASAT,..... I am not spending all the money I have spent to cover up my camo with, duh, Realtree or Mossy Oak. Kinda defeating the purpose of "good" camo.And besides,I strongly believe in the event of a fall, it would be easier to extract oneself from the SOP harness than it would from the HSS system. JMHO

Now, if Summit and Predator, Enigma, and ASAT had the time and brains they could make a mint off of Camo-Coordinated harnesses for bowhunters. After all, it is about looking "professional" for the deer.

LT

Quick Reply: Hunter safety system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.