Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Sleeping

Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Deer Sleeping

last year I spotted a young eight pointer following some does that were about 75 yards from me, when they decided to bed down. They were on a small ridge so I could see them very well from my tree stand as they laid down in the leaves. The buck bedded down about 15 yards from them which put him about 60 yards from me.

The interesting thing about this was that the buck walked in a circle about 3 times just like a dog before he laid down. Then after he laid down he curled up and actually stuck his nose under his back leg, all you could see was his rack and his brown coat. What was really cool was after watching them for about ten minutes my attention was draw to a sound behind me so I turned around to see what it was. When I turned back around I looked back around to the buck and I couldn't find him, that is until he lifted his head up to look around for a couple of minutes and then stuck his nose under his leg again. He did this for about 45 minutes until the does got up then he got up and followed them. It was amazing how he literally disappeared in plain site of me and how he hid his face under his hind leg.

Has anyone ever seen a buck or doe do this? It was one of the neatest things I ever seen a deer do.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a great story right there. I cant believe your luck ive never had any good luck with deer that are bedded down like that its always just like when i see them their front legs are touching their ass thats how fast their running hahaha.

Ryan.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a friend that CLAIMS to have stalked up on a young deer that was asleep and poke him with a stick.He said that was a mistake and he wouldn't try that agian. He claims it jumped very high and kicked and just about got him.

He is a woodsman and he is capable of telling a story or 2 but I can usually read him andI think he just might have done it.[&:]
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have a story that happened to my hunting buddy last year during the rut...it is still my favorite story ever...anyways...he went out hunting in our woods and this time decided to hunt the ground...he was there maybe 1 hour before seeing a deer...he said a nice 8 pointer probably a 2 year old...he takes the shot and misses(he does that a lot)...the deer takes off and he nocks another arrow...when off to his right in the thicket of the woods he hears all sorts of grunting a comotion...what he sees is none other but a bigger buck giving his love to a doe...you talk about observing these animals in their habitat...thats something to see...he never got a good shot at the beast too much thicket...but everytime he tells that story I can't help but laugh...what are the odds...
Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

thats wicked cool welcome to hunting, the joys of life. Wish i can see some stuff like that. Could you get a shot at all with it that close?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Then after he laid down he curled up and actually stuck his nose under his back leg, all you could see was his rack and his brown coat.
YES! This is EXACTLY how the little buck I watched slept! When he would tuck his head inside his back leg....his antlers would be right straight down his ham. He was almost invisible.

Another thing.....he groomed himself (licked) JUST LIKE A CAT would. I didn't know they did this.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Then after he laid down he curled up and actually stuck his nose under his back leg, all you could see was his rack and his brown coat.
YES! This is EXACTLY how the little buck I watched slept! When he would tuck his head inside his back leg....his antlers would be right straight down his ham. He was almost invisible.

Another thing.....he groomed himself (licked) JUST LIKE A CAT would. I didn't know they did this.

Yeah I was surprised to watch him groom himself too! I never woulda thought that they would do that. This buck tucked his head occasionally, and when he did, man he was invisible- but for the most part he just dropped his head down to the ground and slept.

He was pretty much oblivious to everything, so I honestly believe someone could have crept up on him.

But you know, after watching him and laughing at him for so long, I dont know if I could have shot him. Call me weak or not, but I felt different towards this deer than other deer I have seen for some reason!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Same thing happened to me about 15 years ago and it was exactly like you described. He laid 10 yards from my tree, naturally I only had a doe permit at the time, but it was neat to see. Picture a big dog curled up on the floor. He would fall asleep and his rack would lay on the ground on one side or the other. He would sleep for about 10 minutes then wake up and look around. When he would turn his head a lick his hind quarters I would go to full draw just to see what I could get away with. I drew on him 12 times and he never saw me once. When some rabbit hunters came into the woods with beagles he stood up and just watched the beagles at about 40 yards away. When they left, he walked away. When I climbed down and went to the truck he was out in an open corn stubble field with 2 does. Great experience I'll never forget!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM

I snuck up on these two early this fall. Junior was asleep and I was all proud of my stalking ability until I saw mom was watching me the whole time. They both departed shortly after. The fawn actually rested her nose on the ground and didnt tuck it in.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

those are some awesome pictures....

Quick Reply: Deer Sleeping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.