HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What did you learn this season? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/219924-what-did-you-learn-season.html)

130woodman 11-28-2007 08:38 AM

What did you learn this season?

I know the season is still going on but what did you learn?

I've Know now that doing the right thing my might be a dissapointment at the time but as time goes on I am not dissapointed anymore.

Deer hunting is a constant battle.

GregH 11-28-2007 08:43 AM

RE: What did you learn this season?

I've learned to "expect the unexpected" [:-]

virginiashadow 11-28-2007 08:45 AM

During the most critical hunting times of the year, have a plan for everything you do...do not just wander in the woods, thinking that just waiting in the woods will produce deer. Scrutinize your stand placement, and develop a working plan on certain areas. Be picky.

Maryland_Whitetail 11-28-2007 08:50 AM

I learned deer are smarter and dumber than I thought.........

Smarter:
1. The deer know where my stand is and always look up at me before moving in. They still come in though, so I guess this could be in the middle...

Dumber:
1. Had a doe come in after dark, walked within 10 yards of me on the ground, put the light on her and she just stood there, not scared at all, probably could of jumped on her back and rode her out the woods. GETTYUP

Buck Magnet 11-28-2007 08:53 AM

I didn't really learn much this year. My entire archery hunting area was flipped up-side-down this year due to the woods being timbered in Jan. and then the starting construction of the new county jail that was going into a field across the road from the woods I hunt (the field was an old grown up horse pasture full of green briar and golden rods where the deer bedded and it was also a major travel route between the two best food sources). Everything was flipped entirely around and even though I still saw alot of deer but not the quality or amount of bucks that I am used to. Wether this was because of the construction and "revamping" of the woods or some other source is unknown. After rifle season I will be putting a bunch of free time into scouting this area and getting a grasp on what to start looking for next fall.

btomlin 11-28-2007 08:56 AM

A big buck will always follow that 1 doe that just passes out of range and never the ones that are close enough to be killed with a slingshot!

Have confidence in your scouting and hunting abilities....no matter how frustruating it is to watch the same 3 1/2 and younger bucks all season, a big one can change your season outlook at anytime, even if you don't get a shot! I had not had an encounter with a 4.5+ buck until 11/16...a long 6 weeks of bow season. From 11/16-11/22....It's been my best bowhunting of my life and I haven't even loosed an arrow....yet. I've seen 3 different bucks that would rival or exceed my best bowkills including a giant 10pt w. a 10"+ drop that would make you think I lived in IL!!!:)

peakrut 11-28-2007 08:57 AM

I still have so much to learn it is driving me nuts.

cooter144 11-28-2007 08:58 AM

I learned once again that mature bucks are apparently smarter than I am.

130woodman 11-28-2007 09:27 AM

Are you a slow learner.:DShould I type slower.[:@]

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

I still have so much to learn it is driving me nuts.

shed33 11-28-2007 09:34 AM

That I still need to force myself to scout more during the rut, watching doe groups until the right buck shows up or not waste my time. I was a step behind the big boys last week. close to them.. within 200 yards that I know of...but not on the right doe.

Learned two of my giant bucks (well giants for N.I. anyway :"))are still alive.. My brother saw them both as I put him in my best spots..last week. He describe both of the bucks to a "t". The one buck gave him a straight on 300 yard rifle shot that he passed on. My brother is the most disciplined shooter I have ever met. He will not shoot at a trophy buck just because hes huge unless he gets a shot he is comfortable with, which always equates to broadside and standing still. The other big buck he let walk because it was at first light and he thought it was too dark to shoot. He watched the big boy for about 30 seconds standing broadside at 350 yards.