Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What can you hear from your stand? >

What can you hear from your stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Dogs Barking
30.05%
Automobiles/Road traffic
38.42%
Lawns being mowed/leaf blowers/etc...
18.72%
HS Football Game over the loudspeaker
5.91%
Your wife calling you
4.43%
None of the above
2.46%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

What can you hear from your stand?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What can you hear from your stand?

How about a 20foot by 15 foot blowerto ventilate the mine shafts!! Sounds kinda like a jet engine taking off and can be heard any where on the 740 acres!!!! I killed my big boy last year about 300 yards from it and it does cover up sound you make but for videoing it stinks!!! Walt
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't it amazing how people can hear all sorts of sounds, but not one voting can hear their wife?? Simply amazing.

I have a drug treatment center (part jail and part boot camp) about a mile away. I can always hear them doing their morning workout. I tell the wife it makes me feel good to know my tax dollars are hard at work. I can also hear the neighbor's donkey (about a half mile down the road) regularly.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am next to a blacktop road, so I hear traffic though it's not that much. A donkey braying, train usually between 4 and 6. A neighbor's outside phone horn. Cows wanting to be fed. Farmers honking to call in cattle. Pumping unit engines. Electric pumping unit starting up. You can hear it a mile away. Gas compressor running 2 miles away. It's not that bad though.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hear trains!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear a guy weed eating like clock work on a golf course about 7am for about 20 mins. Seems like he hits this one spot them moves on. The golf course is about 500 yards away. Then at about 8:00 a guy on a bulldozer at a new construction site maybe a quarter mile away. One spot over on the other side of the farm was excellent on the first two days of archery season. I saw 14 deer the first morning and evening, every 30-60 minutes I had activity. There was a house being built about 150 yards from my stand once that started the spot shut down, no deer. I thought it was odd so I put a trail cam in and no deer for weeks, constant hammering and noise must have caused this. After 2 months and no pictures on the cam I pulled the stand all together. I had high hopes for that spot.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt a piece of property that is surrounded by subdivisions on three sides
Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 AM

Dogs, Tractors, Airplanes, Sandhill Cranes, Squirrels, Donkeys, Horses, Cows, Mules...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on where I am hunting at the time I can hear all of those sounds.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

In one of my stands it can get downright nuts.......
I have a housing development to the left up the ridge about 400 yards but you can hear everything, Dogs, kids playing, some guy that seems to run his chainsaw 24/7 and every other car coming down the roaddriving over the rumble strips they have on the shoulder to keep people from falling asleep at the wheel........all sit long you'll hear "Brrrrrrrrrr, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Brrrrrrrr" as people run these over.

Then add in the gunshots from the state gamelands where they stock pheasants in front and to my right, the farmer usually running something behind me as well as the psycho Jack Russell terrier at the farm house and you figure it can't get worse right?

Wrong, make sure you throw in the guy who uses that stretch of airspace to run his RC gas powered Airplanes for hours on end. [:-] Oh yeah you know the sound, like a teeny little motorcycle buzzing overhead. I swore last year I was going to try and find a miniature stinger missle to launch from my stand.

Other than that you can hear a pin drop.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I havenoise from a new home being built up the road, leaf blowers, lawn mowers,
a train flying by at 3oo yards away every 30 minutes enroute to NYC, whistling as it goes past, and get this...
the land owner's wife has 3 large Labs & a pond.... every afternoon she throws balls into the pond.... and I can hear the dogs jumping into the water to fetch the balls. SPLASH! SPLASH! SPLASH!
pretty cool that I am still able to do great at this property. I am lucky.
DW

Quick Reply: What can you hear from your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.