Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why we wear safety harnesses >

why we wear safety harnesses

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why we wear safety harnesses

Old 11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: why we wear safety harnesses

Last weekend I put my vest on and grabbed my rope with prussic knot, bow and everything and blasted out the door in a hurry. After getting to my stand and climbing on I didn't the usual and put my rope around. Something took my attention away for a second and after getting back to everything and climbing up to about 20ft I settled in and started the wait. About two hours later I stood up to adjust my seatand decided to adjust the shirt I was wearing under my vest also, that's when I discovered I'd climbed into the stand, up the tree, fixed everything on my seat, pulled up my bow etc..etc...etc...and sat for two hours WITHOUT hooking my vest into my prussic knot. I didn't so much feel stupid, I felt relieved that nothing happened BEFORE I discovered I hadn't hooked in.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

I was watching on the news and they had a game comissioner on and he said on average a hunter that hunts out of a treestand has or will fall out of his tresstand aleast once in their lifetime. I dont no about u guys but i have fallen out of my treestand more than once and i now wear a safty harness
Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Spike

I've never felt the need to wear one. In fact i usually never use tree spikes for climbing either I always find a natural set up.But frankly set your stand up properly. Dont get lazy and fall asleep and if your falling out of a tree because you have bad balance you probably shouldnt be in one. Further more siding contractors like myself across the globe rely on a plank and ladder jacks to be suficiant enough to hold them 30 ft in the air without harnesses. Since when did Hunting become a pansies sport....
Old 11-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do siding and know many who have fallen or slipped . Its not a macho or a pansy thing at all its being safe . Some projects i do if you didn't have a harness on OSHA can come along and slap you with a good fine . you are probably young i use to be that way . it isn't that hard to wear one hunt so i can't see a reason not to
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM

I wear one because it stupid not too. For a few bucks you can buy a
cheap strap harness. You don't need to buy a $100 built in vest.
Your life is to valuable. Wear it! The worst time is getting to the top
of a climb and trying to get situated. Twist here twist there and over
the edge you go.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Spike

Guys, I know we all talk about how it's important to wear a harness, but let's face it, sometimes it's just too much of a PITA. Two weeks ago, I got the late night call that a friend of mine broke his neck and died after falling out of his climber. Please, make the effort to wear your harness.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been shot, shrapneled, blown up, carry some unnecessary metal around,and have been blown into unconsciousness. They tell me I'm suppose to be dead. Death doesn't scare me a lot. I've been saved by a death trap old time safety belt when a stand had a catastropic failure. I own a safety harness. I wear mine because I'm afraid of heights but feel a need to be 20 feet up. Besides that, I hate pain. Besides that, I like to think I'm smarted than the duffus that says he can't stand them and has been climbing trees for ever.