Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why we wear safety harnesses >

why we wear safety harnesses

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why we wear safety harnesses

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default why we wear safety harnesses

By the way, we just had an article in our local news talking about a bowhunter whose life was saved by a safety harness. He was 23 feet up in a treestand when an 8 point walked by in range. Pulled the bow back and snap!his bowbroke apartjust above the riser. Next thing the hunter knows he is hanging from his stand, survived just fine due to a safety harness.

This is what I mean about mechanical parts failing, and why it is so important to wear a harness. I don't think many people fall because they just forget where they are and step off into the other side...

I also know of somebody who had a carbon arrowsplit apart when he shot it, and had some of the arrow go through his bow hand, actually bled quite badly. This did not happen up in the stand, but at the target range, luckily.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 PM

Default RE: why we wear safety harnesses

I wear mine cuz i sleep alot on the stand. No but seriously i have a lot of people who care about me such as my family and beautiful girlfriend that expect me to come home and the end of the hunt. I have never fallen but have had some close calls in the past and dont care to get scared like that again. I have leaned on one side of the top part of my climber and it slide down to the platform.I almsot fell with no harness. Thats was the last straw for me. I can say i have gone the whole season with my harness on this year.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't wear one, I know i really should though!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I don't wear one, I know i really should though!
I am the same way. There have been a couple times that were real close that I felt like an idiot for not wearing one. I hate that feeling when you loose your balance for a split second but you catch yourself.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just read where a Indiana hunter died from NOT wearing. [&o]It aint that much trouble to put one on and come home everyday.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do I wear one? Because it's cheap life insurance that I don't have to die to collect the rewards.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Why do I wear one? Because it's cheap life insurance that I don't have to die to collect the rewards.
BINGO!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

because i don't want to get hurt. I'm getting older and my reaction time is a lot less. Plus i have had a stand slide down a little and to the side it hurt but not as much as falling
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM

i wear one because there are a whole lot more deer seasons ahead of me and i dont want to miss any of them due to an injury from falling out of a stand
Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 AM

I've only been using a climber for a couple of years now, but have had enough adventures with them already to be very religious about wearing my harness. I've knocked the top half down to the platform simply by bumping it with my leg - simlilar to what someone else already mentioned. I've also had the platform slide down a wet hardwood tree about 12" while standing up to stretch. That sure gets the old ticker going. Now when I figure out where I want my climber to be, I cut into the tree with a limb saw at each of the four places where the teeth of my climber are supposed to bite. That has worked very well.

Quick Reply: why we wear safety harnesses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.