HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting product idea--anyone ever present one to a company? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/219565-bowhunting-product-idea-anyone-ever-present-one-company.html)

virginiashadow 11-26-2007 09:47 AM

Bowhunting product idea--anyone ever present one to a company?

I have had some hunting product ideas over the years(as alot of us do)...two of the ideas I thought about for years but did not act on have been put out by companies. I am not saying I thought of them first, but that I think I know what people want/need. I have had what I believe is a really good bowhunting product idea for the past 2 years. Again, I have failed to really invest my time into making the product. I am not a great toolsman or anything but I believe I have some great ideas on at least one new bowhunting product that I believe people would buy. It would help us all out with our shooting precision. My question is, have any of you succesfully presented a product to a company? Any help would be appreciated. I have the basic design model down but again, I am no engineer with blueprinting skills.

shadow

LKNCHOPPERS 11-26-2007 10:25 AM

RE: Bowhunting product idea--anyone ever present one to a company?

Don't let this discourage you but lots of people have good ideas. To make any money at selling your new idea, you need to build a few prototypes and file for a patent. I costs to do these things. You may also have to go on the road with it for a while. If you disclose your idea to a large company they may take it. Lots of times an idea may already be in the works somewhere else. If you truly believe in your idea be prepared to invest your time and money.

virginiashadow 11-26-2007 10:41 AM

LKN--I truly do believe the idea I have now would sell and help bowhunters. For me, capital is limited and I would not risk my house/ family's security or anything else by investing everything. I believe if I could get a structually inclined person to help me make a few prototypes that I could sell the idea to a company after a demonstration. It is not a $1000 product, rather a product that I believe could be marketed on a decent scale for around $75. I am very guarded person and don't get sold on many things people present to me, so when I feel good about something, I think I pretty much know that the idea is solid. I should have gone to business school to learn the tricks of the trade. I just don't want to walk into a business meeting and bring my idea, then they say "no", and then after the meeting take my idea and begin manufacturing it..I am not that law savvy like some of the businessmen on here.

davidmil 11-26-2007 10:53 AM

I haven't, but Len in Maryland has done it several times. Sometimes he just simply tells a manufacturer of a way he thinks they can improve something or correct a flaw. A couple other times that I know of he's designed things and sold them to a manufacturer. He has a couple patents right now on some stuff he made for Apple. In a couple cases he made a prototypeand sent it to them and they adopted it. He's an engineer by teaching and has a knack for seeing or coming up with little things. I'm like you.... I think of something and then wait for someone else to come up with it and watch it sell like crazy.[8D][&:]

virginiashadow 11-26-2007 11:02 AM

David, he must have a way to protect himself from someone stealing his idea after he has presented the idea/prototype to the company....that is something I must learn/research. The product is nothing Einsteinish, but was something born out of necessity/efficiency in my fast paced life. I bought the materials a while back, but it is like I am almost too scared to really begin making it a reality. I guess you have to jump off the deep end sometimes right?

beprepn8 11-26-2007 05:30 PM

Have you searched uspto.gov to see if anyone else has patented your idea?

AK NIMROD 11-26-2007 06:27 PM

friend sold patent to major bow manufacturer he ended up getting screwed.......get a lawyer.

Raxxmaster 11-26-2007 06:35 PM

I have a great idea bouncing around in my aging brain. Now that I'm semi retired I should consider finding someone making it a reality.

virginiashadow 11-27-2007 03:33 AM

beprep--thanks for the link

AK-"friend sold patent to major bow manufacturer he ended up getting screwed.......get a lawyer"---see that is what I am talking about.

ero112 11-27-2007 06:55 AM

I am riding in the same boat thatvirginia shadowis in.I have a spectacular idea and am 100% it would sell , but really am not business inclined or whatever.