Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st Buck In 3 Years A Dank >

1st Buck In 3 Years A Dank

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st Buck In 3 Years A Dank

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default 1st Buck In 3 Years A Dank

The Dank Buck But A Memory

Well bow fanatics,I've been hunting hard for the last 2 weeks from sunup to sundown and my wife told me before I headed out on Saturday that I should think of filling my Son's new Bday presentdeep freeze we bought him. I've seen60 bucks in the last 2 weeks but have not been able to get the shooter I wanted and put special thought to my wife's enquirey. I have never shot a buck under 136 pny in the 14 years I've bowhunted and have taken my best as a 172 1/9 BTR buck 7 years ago.Two years agoI had a 170ish buck duck my arrow for the 1st timeand a year later I had a 180 ish duck again at 14 yards.
This year I haven't even drawn on a good buck yet, just in the last 4 days have I seen reputable bucks to shoot. So last night I put it in my head, 1st buck to walk by, gets it. I got on stand at 2pm as the bucks have seem to be resting in this hour,haven't seen a deer between 1 and 2:30 in the 2 weeks sitting. As I was settled in and ready to hunt,it starts to rain,folks I'm in Northern Alberta on the 24th of November,not suposed to rain,last year on this day it was -38 here in the Bow Zone.
Well at 3:36 I see movement below the ridge to my front, as I'm about to stand and grab my bow ,the doe is already at 8 yards and jumping in a frolicking way. Wow,now how am I going to get a shot with the bow on the hanger,LOL. I've seen this in many a doe when their in estrus and being pursued by a buck. Around a few treesshe moves and off and running back where she came from and then I see antler glare. Now I'm up with bow in hand, Ilet out a doe inestrus bleat from my Mad Doe call,no response and the buck walks out of view. I sit back down and 5 minutes later I hear a buck grunting back on my trail where I came in on. Up I get again and see it's the same buck, or at least I think it is.
I lean out on my stand to get a better view and he's right on my trail and coming slowly,well I'm back on my edge of my stand ready at my safety strap end leaning . I look and see it's the 2x1 I've seen a lot in the 2 weeks hunting. I say to my self shoot the dang thing and as he drawsnearer I draw as he walks behind 4 trees and he stops. LMAO what next ? Then he walks into my shooting lane at 7yards and I grunt with my mouth and he stops. Ihit the trigger release and the arrow flies straight through theheart and the blood is gushing out with every beat. He falls over on his side and make a few kicks. I grab another arrow and as I'm loading it on to my bow it gets back up.
I've been told by a freind that to put a deer down instantly, you need to put one behind the ear. He's at 12 yards now and looking away 1/4ing away. I draw and send another Montec to the spot I pictured to hit.Two inches back and the arrow is only in 6 inches and he falls over like in an Arcade game. Wow, man I would never try this again as it's such a small spot,but I felt sorry for him as he was kicking and I always wanted to test my buds theory. All in all it was a great hunt and now I can walk out of the house in the morning not having to hear my wife say stop wasting our money on gas,LMAO. I also won't have to second guess myself as not being a hunter who is only after a trophy.
By the way ,the Montec severed the neck bone and went straight through it, breaking it cleanly on the fourthvertabrae. The arrow broke off as I tried to pull it out and when I got home I saw that one shaft of the broadhead had broke and was slightly bent from the impact. What a awsome broadhead for your money.The buck out of respect ended up scoring 75 even,so much for a trophy hunter,LOL. Hunt safely and God Bless
Rocky Team #4o

Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st Buck In 3 Years A Dank

Behind the ear? You're joking right? Is your buddy a hitman? I had to read that part twice.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Good Job Rocky. Congrats on the buck.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I just don't understand the "behind the ear" thing. Never heard that one.

But....that aside....congrats on your buck.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM

believe me i know where your coming from...... after a few "dry" years you just gotta wipe the slate clean and just get started somewhere..... it sounds like you got a nice cull buck..... 75 inch 2 x 1 is a lot of horn concidering..
Old 11-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats rocky way to score for the team, now ifI could contribute something
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Loogout
Well the behind the ear thing is a bit to much ,but you know what,we shoot every day and hit where we aim,so why not. To me I would only say I would try that shot again if it were the same cercumstances and same distances. I'm saying I would only try it if it were after the kill shot hadbeen done. I was surprised to watch it fall as if it were in an arcade game.I was totaly bewildered but satisfied.
Rocky
Old 11-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Wyliescrib
The buck wich I left, out ended up being a 4x4 ,but the p3 was under an inch. Sorry I forgot to include this inthe story,LOL.
Rocky
Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Congrats !!!!
Yeah congrats on your buck! Behind the ear??? What!

Quick Reply: 1st Buck In 3 Years A Dank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.