HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Help with attaching my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/219270-help-attaching-my-lone-wolf-alpha-hang-stand.html)

allegiance21 11-24-2007 09:12 AM

Help with attaching my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on stand

I normally use a climbing tree stand because I only hunt public land and carry the stand in and out w/ me. However, within the last few years I've had many deer spot me in the tree. I decided just recently I would try a hang on stand for better concealment. After reading reviews on here and on cabela's.com I figured using the lone wolf alpha hang on with the lone wolf climbing sticks would allow me to get set up and ready to hunt in the shortest amount of time with less blood, sweat and tears. So I purchased the combination. I really felt like the EZ hang hook system would make setting it up by myself a cinch. My first question is one I think I already answered when trying to hang the stand in my parent's backyard. Can you use the ez hang hook with the offset bracket attached? It definitely didn't seem like the hook locked in with the bracket attached. If this is the case, has anyone used the ez hang hook on an awkward tree and felt stable? I figured I would want the offset bracket attached because I will never know what kind of bent tree I'll want to put the stand in when I hunt public land. I figured i could maybe put a screw in step in the tree first to hang the stand to free up an arm and then attach the straps onto the stand, but where i hunt screw in steps are illegal and it takes extra time to screw the step in. My goal here is to get up the tree as fast as possible ready to hunt while eliminating the sweat that hanging this stand might cause. If anyone has any tricks they use for hanging up hang ons quickly and easily that they could share w/ me i would GREATLY appreciate it.

Greg / MO 11-24-2007 09:48 AM

RE: Help with attaching my Lone Wolf Alpha Hang on stand

I own an Alpha hang on, and have never used the EZ hook that came with it... I feel it's probably the easiest fixed position stand I've ever hung, and the hook is simply not necessary. Plus, if I recall correctly, it does limit using the offset bracket somewhat... that may be why I stowed it right away.

First off, make sure you've got a really good harness with d-loop attachments so that you can affix your safety belt like a lineman's belt. If you've got one of those, hanging the stand is an absolute cinch (actually, it's pretty easy to hang any stand as long as you've got one of those).

Just be sure that you tighten the straps holding the stand around the tree with the platform UP, and then when you lower the platform it tightens them even further.

TFOX 11-24-2007 09:57 AM

I always use the hook,even with the offset bracket attached.You just have to lean the stand up and slide it into the hanger and the stand is held in place while you cinch it to the tree.

Of course,you can't use the hanger when setting the stand up at an offset angle but when hung on a straight tree,I always use it.

I use a trebble hook rope,(not sure what the proper name is) and put my Lone wolf sticks on the tree and climb while secured like Greg mentioned with my safety harness and I can get my stand and accesories from the ground without climbing down to hook them up.

allegiance21 11-24-2007 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I just need to get out and practice setting it up more. I did use a lineman's belt the first time I tried to hang it up high in a tree. It definitely helps alot. TFOX, I really like you're idea of using the treble hook to retrieve your stuff off the ground. I know that climbing back down the tree to tie up things would really become time consuming and annoying. I really really love this stand and the climbing sticks. I just want to be able to get them set up quickly and quietly so I can remain undected while doing so.

Cougar Mag 11-25-2007 04:50 AM

Though I no longer own the Alpha, I do own the Assault so basically the same setup. I have been using mine with the bracket and have not been using the Ezy hang hook. The hook is easier but as said by the others it doesn't allow for hanging in a not so straight or imperfect tree.

Guess I am dumb, but I actually have been carrying a small wrench with me in case I want to take the bracket off, I thought it had to be unattached to use the ezy hang hook.

Bukmastr 11-25-2007 07:11 PM

There are two ways to attach the stand. If you use the hook, you nbeed to remove the offset brackett. I personally do not like the hook system. It goes up plenty fast with the offest brackett and you do not have to first hang the hook, which seems to defeat the purpose.
If your new to hunting out of L/W stands there are some definate tricks to making them easier to set up... Here is a link to a post on a different forum about "Tip's and tricks" to setting up L/W hang-ons...

http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard...opic.php?t=178