HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   urban area hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/219207-urban-area-hunters.html)

thephildo 11-23-2007 06:05 PM

urban area hunters

how many of you guys hunt around houses. i mean a couple hundred yards away, that sometimes have to deal with dogs, people and other distractions from the houses, notice any difference in the deer movement or how they react? just curious how many other people are noticably close to houses, and streets when in the stands

Rickmur 11-23-2007 06:11 PM

RE: urban area hunters

Can be some great hunting. Just have to adapt to the human presence as the deer do.

Dr Andy 11-23-2007 06:17 PM

That's my home set-up. Got a really nice buck 2 years ago. I think the deer are less cautious due to the constant interraction with humans dogs etc. Where I hunt in NW suburbs of Chicago there is no gun season and in my immediate area I think I'm the only one who bow-hunts. I have noticed that the deer are more difficult to pattern since they don't seem to bed inthe same spot 2 nights in a row. I'll go days w/o seeing a deer and then I'll see some really nice ones. Good luck.

thephildo 11-23-2007 06:19 PM

yea thats how i feel, its almost impossible to tell exactly when one will show up, or what. and i think you can also be less scent conscious as the houses are so class, as well as the human and foreign scents.

Rhody Hunter 11-23-2007 06:21 PM

i do sometimes yea the dogs drive me crazy but sometimes the other noises they are use to and just ignore . It is sometimes ironic that people will use chain saws , backhoes, and chippers first thing in the morning when i am there and then at 10:00 it goes quiet . iv'e heard people banging on there grills grinding metal all kinds of crazy things at 6:00 in the morning

robdre56 11-23-2007 08:28 PM

the deer are used to it i hunt 50 yards from houses ppl in their back yeards waving to me while im in stand it makes me nervous thinking hmm maybe some1 wont like me there and call the cops but i have permission so i should be ok

curth83 11-23-2007 08:33 PM

yea i hunt with 5 ro 6 houses within 200 yards of my hunting spot. have seen numerous dogs and soemtimes even people:). but in the end they dont really seem to mind at all.

the doe that i got this year was at first light. funny thing was, about 250 yards away some idiot was using a bulldozer and a chainsaw. at 6 am. i was pretty pissed off until she walked in front of me :D

BigTiny 11-23-2007 08:51 PM

I hunt behind my house. The blind is about 80 yards from my back gate. The woods are about 200-300 yards deep and 1/4 mile long. So far my only kill this season was a big doe back there. It's not as quiet as going out to the big woods, but way more convenient and no gasoline is burned getting there. It's in the city limits, so no firearm hunting is allowed. We have less than 2500 people living in town, so there's plenty of woods around the neighborhood.

Deleted User 11-23-2007 09:41 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

stabnslab_WI 11-23-2007 10:18 PM

I hunted a golf corse b4 and the deer were unbelieveable i used to see 40+ deer in one 2 hour sit with multiple bucks. I would have deer feeding forty yards away as I would climb up to my stand and never care that i was there. It wasn't much like hunting but It was still awesome.