Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy >

Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

Old 11-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

I used to be a devout Muzzy shooter, and they are devastating on deer, but with all of the advances in technology, I don't see why anyone would use the fixed blades. To be fair, some mechanicals are lame ducks, but there are others that are just as (if not more so) devastating to deer than fixed blades with better performance and less tuning.

After a very convincing demonstration by a sales rep at Cabela's, I am now using the Grim Reaper Mechanicals. To say theGrim Reapers fly siimiar to fieldpoints would be an understatement. Thy actually plane better than the bullet points!

They also have the same trocar (bone crushing tip) that the Muzzy has, and they are bone crushers! I have a video where they are tested against every broadhead on the market, and they shoot them through ballistic gelatin and a deer hide/shoulder, and they outperform every broadhead on the market. They also shoot them through asteel drum, and the Grim Reapersnearly pass through the thing!

I have no interest in the Grim Reaper broadheads, but the Grim Reaper Razor Tip has nearly a dozen patents , sotrust me, ithey are worth a look!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I haveused Muzzy 3 blades 125's for both deer and elk for the past 8 years. I heard how great the Rage broadheads were so I decided to try them. I have killed two deer with them, and didn't get a pass thru on either one. Blood trail was okay but certainly wasn't any better than my experience with Muzzys.
To each their own but not for me.
Good decision! Muzzy's won't fail you like them mechanicals can. To me these Mechanical heads are not bone crushers, it seems when they hit good bone they are done. I've talked to a few guys around my area who tried them as well and there expeirences were not very good when it came to them hitting bone, if they went in between the ribs they had pass throughs for the most part when they opened up.A few even told me when they had the deer quartering away at a sharp but shootable angle, the rages bouncedoff the ribs and in the dirt they went! To each there own I guess!
With a lead blade and it's bouncing off? Come on lets get serious!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Michbowhunter
but with all of the advances in technology, I don't see why anyone would use the fixed blades.
Because mechanical parts are prone to failure, more so than a fixed blade. Because what really matters, no matter what type of broadhead you buy, is where you put it. Put one in the boilermaker, and the deer isn't going very far. I think that if mechanicals were so much more superior than fixed heads, you would see states outlawing fixed blades for humane reasons.

Just my 2 cents,

-c_str
Old 11-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like the muzzy 3-blade 125's and then the fred bear tips
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe I said all mechanicals were superior or that fixed blades aren't lethal.They are both effective, and I don't believe anyState would ever outlawfixed blade broadheadseven IFmechanicals weremore efficient. To be honest, there are some mechanicals that I believe should be outlawed, and you will see why if you watch the Grim Reaper tests at the link I provided below.

The point that I was trying to make is that I loved Muzzy's, but I found a mechanical broadhead that I believe is either equalOR superior to any fixed blade on the market,withoutthe drawbacks. The drawbacks for me weretarget shooting with my Muzzy's in order to ensure they were flying similar tomy bulletpoints, andtrust me, shooting carbon shafts tipped withMuzzy's intoa Block target is no fun! I still have quitefew stuck up in mine!

When it comes to fixed blades, there is no better than aMuzzy, and I have nothing negative to say about them with the exception thatthey never didfly"exactly" like my bullet points, and the Grim Reapers do. The Grim Reapers also have the same bone crushing trocar tip as the Muzzy with added razor blades in that tip to increase penetration!

You don't have to take my word for it. The tests that were performed between fixed blades and other mechanicals vs the Grim Reaperand other videos can allbe viewedathttp://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Grim+reaper+broadheads

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and as Isaid,Iswore by the Muzzyforyears, but a mechanical that has more patents than any other single broadhead on the market deserves a LOOK.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:02 AM
Spike

I've never used the rage 3 blade because it is commonly known that there is a problem with the blades hitting each other on impact, on the other hand I have seen three deer hit by 2 blade and it looked like they got hit by a cannon, 2 of the deer didn't make 40 yds and the third with a bad shot still only went about 120 yds.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never used an expandable, don't trust them on that one in a lifetime shot that I have hunted for for so long. I used Muzzys all my life till 2 seasons ago when I tried the Shuttle Tite Point at Len's advise. I shoot it in 125 grain and it flies like a broadhead. The first deer I shot with it was a 35 yrd shot that I hit the spine and had a complete pass through shooting an Allegence. It's a keeper. Nothing wrong with Muzzy IMO but you know how we like to try other things and when I did I liked what I saw.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 AM

I've shot Muzzy's for years and they haven't let me down yet. Great broadhead, IMO.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

well that doesnt give me much confidence with my new rage heads now having had taken a shot at a deer this year, maybe i should switch before i regret it
Old 11-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Killed two with the Rage this year. Neither was a pass-through. Both died and the buck died faster than any deer I've every killed.

Still, I can't passed the idea that a pass-through is the ideal and the Rage blades could open up prior to impact.

For what its worth...Last year, I tried Montec G5's 100 grain. Couldn't get them to fly right. This season I changed from standard 3 inch vanes to 2 inch Blazers.

My Muzzy's don't group as well with the Blazers, but the Montecs are now grouping and flying like field tips.

I'm going with Montecs for now, but like others, I enjoy trying new stuff from time to time.

Quick Reply: Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.