Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

Show me a fixed head BH that will inflict this type of damage on a deer.....and I'll switch. I posted this photo....right after I shot her. She was the first I'd shot with the Rage head. The ONLY thing "doctored" about this photo is....her entrails were laying below her belly when I found her in lieu of where they're shown.

Shot was a pretty hard quartering away shot of 15 yds or so. Blood trail looked like a mass murder crime scene.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

However, I did personally see one "glance" off a bone this year. The arrow entered a medium mule deer, at a severe quartering away angle, in the last rib and when it hit big bone in the opposite shoulder, came out of the deer at a 45 degree angle upward - falling to the ground within 25 feet
Roskoe,
you made my point exactly and the most important part of you statement is the first part.......the description of the exact same shot that "Bounced" off in Shultzy's scenario.
Last rib point of aim hoping for the opposite shoulder. Not only did the shot travel straight through the deer it still had enough energy to deflect of the thick hard bone on the opposite side of the chest cavity AFTER it had done what it was supposed to do. Sounds to me like it performed perfectly and backs up my point about hard quartering angles and this head.
If you step back and look at the design it's not much more than a folded up large cutting diameter fixed head. The way the blades open upon impact in no way detracts from the line of travel like it has been said a "Jacknife" style can. There is nothing swinging or spinning or pushing outward on the direction of travel trying to change it's path.......they go straight back quickly and easily and now the distance of cutting tip to the point where the blades will finally contact hide is greater than a conventional fixed head. The arrow's course of travel has already been determined.
Intheory the rage should perfrom BETTER on angled shots than a fixed head with a shorter front and a quicker blade engagement with the hide.
It really is designed well.

If you guys want an example of deflection on impact look no further than my 07' recurve buck. 620gr arrow tipped with a 220gr Muzzy Phantom cut on contact head.
From the ground the arrow not only deflected backwards at impact on the broadside animal, it deflected as Roskoe saw in that mule deer, UPWARD at a 45 degree angle coming out tight to the spine and through the backstrap. And that was from the impact with ONE rib on the rearward side of it going in.

Just think what a simple branch will do to your arrow at impact and the crazy transfer of energy and direction of travel that can occur. changes of direction within the animal IMO are more probable than a true "Bounce off" or perceived deflection because of a broadheads design.
Things happen VERY quickly in the deer wodds and what we THINK we see is often very different from reality, its easy to blame a grazing shot on poor broadhead because we couldn't possibly have simply MISSED. Just look at the number of posts backing up GMMATs thread about not even seeing the arrow in flight, only holes opening up on the animal or nothing at all.
Trust me I've tracked lots of deer for guys who SWORE they knew exactly how a certain deer was hit (which only complicated the tracking) only to find their actual POI off by sometimes FEET not inches.

Old and new school guys alike need to step back from their preconceived notions about gear sometimes and understand the HOWS and WHYS of design first hand, you'll be able to make much better informed decisions and apply thatknowledge tothe fieldas well as better match equipment to your particular wants and needs before you get there.
don't just buy something because it's "Hot" or the newest thing or Billy Bob Primos killed a few bucks with it. Study it and understand WHY it shoudl or shouldn't work, then play with it and if you gain the trust in it first hand apply it to your hunt.
Broadheads, bows, arrows, rangefinders, stands, whatever.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Well GMATT to be totally honest I woudl prefer the guts not be hanging out of the deer after I shoot it. I like to hit them a bit further forward and broadside
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

That shot was 15 yds, hard quartering.....and I'll take it EVERY time.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well this is a pretty heated debate..

I really wanted to use the 100 gr. 2 blade, Rage this season, practiced with it for weeks out to 20 yards and was perfect. When I started to shoot out further, like 30 yards, I had some problems with the Rage. My groupings were just not what I wanted for 30 yards. And I was just not happy with the result.

I went back to shooting the 125 gr. NAP Nitron fixed head once again... and continue to love this head. I am hoping the makers of Rage come out with a 125 grain head, then I will try again. You certainly can't argue against the Rage.. it just didn't fly right for me at longer distances.

I was kinda bummed...
Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]
What matt said things happen in the whitetail world.

First Doe shot with Striker 125

Notice the exit hole, this deer was 19 yds away broadside, I did not look at what happen. It was pouring rain after i shot her. See the exit hole is almost straight down.

Here is the head, now G5 made it right with me. They sent me Montec's to replace the strikers I bought. Ever broadhead has a point of failure, manuman found a montec in KY that was bent.

[/blockquote]
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Duke:

Did you change your setup? I mean....you affect spine when you switch head weight.....and I was wondering. I switched from a 125 (fixed)to the 100gr Rage and I didn't have to change anything. I'm shooting a/c/c 3-71's. Just wondering. I don't know much about this kinda stuff. I just know I OVERspine my arrows because my setup allows it.....and I get a little more arrow weight, that way.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

For all you Muzzy shooters, and by no means am I bashing Muzzy, I could be talking about any broadhead here,but on the North American Whitetail hunting show on the Outdoor Channel Greg Miller shoots a nice buck that his Muzzy deflected drastically in the animal and he states that it did deflected on the show.

Broadheads deflect at times and that is just the way it is.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

The Grim Reaper is like a Muzzy on steroids! Just watch this video and see the difference between the Grim Reaper and Rage heads!

You can't tell me that Rage heads are bone crushers like the Muzzy or Grim Reaper!

The Rage heads explode when they are fired through the steel drum, but the Grim Reaper nearly passes completely through undamaged!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47qLegGlYwE
Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't need a big hole I just need a hole in the right spot made with any sharp BH.
I love Mechs and have had no problems or concernsBUT I do wonder if the deer I hit square in the shoulder this season would have been dead with a good bone crushing fixed head..
What do they say about the Rage. "The best bad hit BH out there".

Quick Reply: Forget the Rage-think I'll stick with my Muzzy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.