Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Hunting = lesser quality deer ?

I hunt with bow, rifle, and revolver. It is interesting to see some posts from people who are elitist about their preferred weapon. If a rifle hunter who regularly injures game took up bow hunting, he/she would probably be a bow hunter who regularly injures game.

Or, if firearm hunting was outlawed, that person might not hunt. In that case we are diminishing our numbers (strength in numbers, guys) and possibly creating overpopulated herds. I can't see the positives here.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Just looking to see what your take is on rifle hunting and deer quality.

I see alot of people on TV/Videos, hunting with rifles. Here in NJ we cant hunt with rifles. Muzzleloaders and slug guns but no rifles.

I think its a good idea to keep the longer range, high powers out of the hunting season.

Rifles enable people to stay undetected by deer and take them from much longer ranges. Its more of target shooting than hunting. When you take to the field with a rifle, you limit the deers ability to utilize their senses and spot you. I think that more and more deer will be harvested and in NJ, the idiots will take every spike, fork horn or young buck that they can setle their crosshairs on.

I am against long range hunting, however, I did take a 160yard shot at a deer last Saturday, but that was because I felt that my younger brother injured this particular deer(youth firearm day), so it was more of an ethical follow up shot than hunting. I didnt want an ijured deer walking the woods due to our actions, other than that, I like them CLOSE. I like to defeat their senses, NOT take them away by being 300yards out.

Also, there is no gun hunting during the main rut her ein NJ, other than Youth Firearm Day.

So, I am infavor of more traditional hunting methods and I feel that it also increases the quality of hunting because more deer get to "walk" during the previous seasons.

Whats your take ?
My take is you have no right to call anyone an idiot for harvesting a deer of there choice. I think you read to many magazines and don't really know what your doing in the woods. But to answer your question, I love bow hunting but I will pick up a rifle and hunt also. We are to limited in numbers as hunters to start segregating oursleves.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

I say, hunt howyou like and dont worry about others. As long as they are doing it legal. I like to hunt with my trad bows, but i would never insist on everyone haveing to do so because of some notion of my way being more sportsmen like.

I shot this guy in the middle of the rifle season with my recurve. Everyone around rifle hunts and I still take quality deer each year. We need the rifles to help thin the herd.

I very much agree with your take adn very nice buck by the way. I would also add that hunters should support all forms and methods of hunting, when ethical and legal, as numbers of hunter are dwindling, not growing.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Does using a rifle give you more of an advantage? Yes.
Should it be allowed? Of course!
The only limits I can see is in and around urban hunting zones. Here in indiana rifles cannot be used for deer but shotguns and muzzleloaders are fine. Though this makes sense around our few major cities. Everywhere else is a lot of farmland which sometimes requires long shots. They have actually started to allow rifles with pistol cartridges to be allowed here in indiana and probably will legalize rifles in the coming future. To each their own as long as they are competent enough to safely and humanely utilize their chosen hunting equipment.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I am against long range hunting, however, I did take a 160yard shot at a deer last Saturday, but that was because I felt that my younger brother injured this particular deer(youth firearm day), so it was more of an ethical follow up shot than hunting. I didnt want an ijured deer walking the woods due to our actions, other than that, I like them CLOSE. I like to defeat their senses, NOT take them away by being 300yards out.

Also, there is no gun hunting during the main rut her ein NJ, other than Youth Firearm Day.

One our walk, I spotted a management buck that I had passed a few times while hunting deep in the woods. My brother took rest on the shooting pole and sent a 20guage slug flying 100yards. I couldnt see the impact, but the deer ran a few feet, stopped, looked our way then kept walking. I was puzzled, I couldnt tell if he was his or not. I took the gun from my brother and loaded another shell.
I watched him through the scope, now at around 160yards, I figured that if an ethical following shot needed to be taken, my brother wouldnt be able to do it. I studied the deer and thought that he may be limping. I steadied the crosshairs at the top of the neck to compensate for drop and took an off hand, 160yard shot. I hit him, he jumped. This was my last chance at a shot.
We waited, got out of our camo and into our tracking gear. It was dark. I marked the spot that the deer took into the thicket and we left.
Back the next morning, after a night rain storm. We found a few blood spots then I had to guess on the trail the deer took. I nailed it !! We cross a stream expecting to find the deer in the swamp grass. Found a little more blood, but, then it stopped.
We looked for a few hours and found nothing more. We walked about 200acres of this property looking for sign. We found nothing.
In conclusion, I believe that my brother actually missed and that I skimmed the deer. My friend said that he saw the deer this afternoon, feeding in the SAME cut corn field. He said that he was positive it was the same deer we had marked as a management buck.
Good news !! However, as a former Marine, whos job revolved around scoped, long range shooting, Im disapointed in myself, but, glad that the deer was ok. Needless to say, that buck is no longer on our management list and gets a free ride !!
Now this is interesting! You were the one that injured the deer and to top it off you were using a firearm out of season...I think you can quit touting your ethics now.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM

I am completely with you. I like to have deer close. This monday is gun season in PA and I am bringing my bow and sitting in the thickest cover I can find. It is so much more satisfying taking a deer with a bow. Gun hunting to me is point and click..
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

One our walk, I spotted a management buck that I had passed a few times while hunting deep in the woods. My brother took rest on the shooting pole and sent a 20guage slug flying 100yards. I couldnt see the impact, but the deer ran a few feet, stopped, looked our way then kept walking. I was puzzled, I couldnt tell if he was his or not. I took the gun from my brother and loaded another shell.
I watched him through the scope, now at around 160yards, I figured that if an ethical following shot needed to be taken, my brother wouldnt be able to do it. I studied the deer and thought that he may be limping. I steadied the crosshairs at the top of the neck to compensate for drop and took an off hand, 160yard shot. I hit him, he jumped. This was my last chance at a shot.
We waited, got out of our camo and into our tracking gear. It was dark. I marked the spot that the deer took into the thicket and we left.
Back the next morning, after a night rain storm. We found a few blood spots then I had to guess on the trail the deer took. I nailed it !! We cross a stream expecting to find the deer in the swamp grass. Found a little more blood, but, then it stopped.
We looked for a few hours and found nothing more. We walked about 200acres of this property looking for sign. We found nothing.
In conclusion, I believe that my brother actually missed and that I skimmed the deer. My friend said that he saw the deer this afternoon, feeding in the SAME cut corn field. He said that he was positive it was the same deer we had marked as a management buck.
Good news !! However, as a former Marine, whos job revolved around scoped, long range shooting, Im disapointed in myself, but, glad that the deer was ok. Needless to say, that buck is no longer on our management list and gets a free ride !!
Why would you aim for the NECK at 160yds instead of the lungs/heart? Seems like your the bad apple gun hunter your complaining about.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Keith:

When I read that I cringed, too. Sometimes we ought to all hit the "preview" button and proofread what we're about to tell the world.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

there is nothing wrong with hurting with any legal method if we did not have gun hunters there would be to many deer out there

if i could use a .50 cal high power sniper rifle i would from 2 miles away if it is legal go for it some people hunt for meat and fun not the hard challenge from bow hunting
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

there is nothing wrong with hurting with any legal method if we did not have gun hunters there would be to many deer out there

if i could use a .50 cal high power sniper rifle i would from 2 miles away if it is legal go for it some people hunt for meat and fun not the hard challenge from bow hunting

You might blow him in half with that thing!!!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.