Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Euromount: pics and instructions >

Euromount: pics and instructions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Euromount: pics and instructions

Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Euromount: pics and instructions

Hey quiksilver,

That looks great!! I just got mine back and It cost me 100 bucks. I started out skinning the head but decided it may take longer than I thought so I took it to a taxidermist. I know she boiled it, but thought she may have done it to long?? I noticed on mine There is a small seperation down the nose, look at pics. Not sure if it was over boiled or dried a different method that caused it? They only had it a couple weeks. I think next time I will try do it myself.
4 hrs isn't to long to boil it?
Great post!
Thanks Crutch
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

pic didn't load in post?

Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

2nd

Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

3rd

Old 11-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks great, and it's definitely an easy way to do it.

I've got a european mount going right now, but I'm using a method that is FAR more stinky and disgusting. [:'(]Maceration. I skin it first and let it sit in warm water for 1 - 2 weeks. Then rinse it off with the garden hose and you're done. You can soak it in peroxide to draw the grease out of the bone and whiten it up more if you wish.

Maceration is easy. I'm just letting the skull sit in 85 degree water for about 2 weeks and letting the thing rot. It stinks to high hell, but most taxidermists agree that this is the best way to do it because it leaves all the small bones and teeth in tact.The bacteria in the water eat up all the flesh and tissue. Bacteria gets places beetles can't.

I've heard boiling makes the skullweak. If you do put it in water, most taxidermists say simmer don't boil.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Should be about another week or so. God it stinks. [:'(] Definitely do this outside or in the barn.The key is the water has to stay warm to keep the bacteria growing. I'm using an aquarium heater. I've learned that scrambling brain matter is the single most disgusting thing I've ever done.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done 4-5 skulls so far and most of the tips I was going to add were already added.

Don't try to pull tissue off that isn't ready...let it simmer/boil longer.
Use a garden hose to spray out the nasel and brain cavities.
Wrap tinfoil around the antlers to keep them from discoloring.
Once most of the big tissue is off, add some soap (the grease cutting kind) to the water to help boil off some of the grease.
And the most important one...remember to keep your mouth shut while tugging on loose flesh...I've boiled a couple skulls in the spring that I found in the woods...maggot infested, green meat, the works....keeping your mouth shut is very important...trust me[:'(]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Excellent quick..............looks great and thanks for the instructions.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks!! for all theinfo guys...

-fsh
Old 11-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

great instructions quick. your turned out great. nice buck to.
couple more tips:: for those who soak in 40% peroxide, take a paper towel and fold it into a 1/2" long strip, soak it in the solution and wrap it around the bases under the bur so the solution can wick up it before settingit in the container of solution. may have to fold paper towel to cover top of skull to and keep it wet. after bleaching, let it dry in direct sunlight for about five days to continue the bleaching proscess. get some modpodge from a craft store and coat the skull. it looks like elmers white glue when putting it on, but dries clear and glossy. i like to give about three coats.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM

Good post. I am plannning on doing at least one this year. I have found that the 2 most useful tools for this job is a good air compressor and blow nozzle. I have a nozzle i can snake into just about any spot and will blow the junk right out of there. Also the a hand dremel seems to work well for peeling some junk off especially down at the bases of the antlers. A taxidermist once told me that the most common mistake people make is boiling it too long. What he suggested was to place the head in the pot, bring to a boil, remove let stand, strip meat, then reheat to boil, strip meat. This way you will never over boil. For me this is an outside job or in the shop. I have a propane camp stove and a large pot and go to town with that rather than cooking it up in the house.

Quick Reply: Euromount: pics and instructions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.