HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Have you ever lost the drive?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/218809-have-you-ever-lost-drive.html)

archer58 11-21-2007 08:12 AM

RE: Have you ever lost the drive??

I'm like mobo. Every year I seem to go through a period that I don't care if I hunt or not. I know it's when I don't see deer and hunt too much at the same time. It's burn out for sure.
All it takes to snap me out of it is seeing deer.

Vabowman 11-21-2007 08:15 AM

Age can effect things. Im 32 and I have seen a lot of things in the woods, but that is what keeps me coming back, I know how wonderful the woods are. I have two sons and they will beready to hunt in a few more years, so I will hunt with them and teach them everything I can. They will help keep the drive alive!!

NEW61375 11-21-2007 08:27 AM

I'm 32 as well and I went throughsomething similiar about 10 -12 years ago. I was living a different kind of lifestyle and running around a lot being a cool guy (jj) and just made no time for it and didn't prioritize it, I would still manage to go once or twice but there was no dedication, no scouting, and we would usually end up drinking somewhere by the end of the day. I'm glad that part of my life has passed. Then while I was married to my ex wife she made itvery difficult and it really took the fun out of going. But since my divorce 4 years ago it has been GAME ON and I feel like I was missing out. I love the time with my dad, my kids, and I just feel like the enjoyment is back. My better half nowdoesn't really love hunting but she knows I do and she fakes like she doesn't mind (at least she tries).

With the holidays coming up and money tight I will probably slow down from here on out and try to work a little more and help herat the house more, but trust me the drive will be there.

rybohunter 11-21-2007 08:29 AM

No. But I would imagine I will once I get old.

I guess nearing the end ofa long season, I've had a tag or 2 left and didn't make a huge effort to fill them. But at that point I was sitting on a freezer of meat so I'm not sure it really counts the same.

I've never been thru a point in my life where I went into a season and didn't feel like getting out to hunt.

Vabowman 11-21-2007 08:41 AM

New, I know what you mean about living a different lifestyle. I did it too. It wasn't me at all. My best friend is still doing that lifestyle, he was a great hunter, taught me everything, now he goes 2 times a year, and could care less if he ever went. I try to get him back in it, but after 7 or 8 yrs now, I might just give up on him.

ron3775 11-21-2007 08:46 AM

I feel that sometimes you need to go through it. It gives you a chance to refect on what you are really missing out on by not being out in the woods. I hit that point a couple of times, even when I was out in the woods. Sitting there freezing, not seeing any deer, you get to thinking what the heck am I doing out here? I pack up and head home. Thankfully the feeling ends and when the next season comes around, I am like a kid at Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!

Cougar Mag 11-21-2007 08:51 AM

At 53 yrs. old now I lose the drive now and then each season. I've shot one doe for our freezer and I'll try to help my son get his first deer ever by moving a couple of stands and just going along. I'll be hunting with him this weekend only when he chooses to go. I'll lay low for myself until mid-December when things should pick up again, made up my mind its big buck or nothing for me the rest of the season. Its getting to be too much work when you aren't seeing anything, and you know somethings not right with yourself when you don't have the patience to sit very long.

Doughboy2 11-21-2007 08:57 AM

I think it is normal to lose the drive once in a while. I am at the stage now where I am not sure that I will get up early to hunt, but will definitely hunt in the evenings. I may hunt a couple of mornings still.....but not sure. Our gun season is coming up real soon, and I will be out in the evenings. I work during the day, but will hunt in the evening. Basically, I still have the desire, but chosing not to hunt the mornings!!;);)

Whitehorn 11-21-2007 09:01 AM

No, the cure for that is getting married and having kids.. Spare time is scarce, so getting out is special, successful or not.

gutshot 11-21-2007 09:04 AM

Iget burned out every season. In WV we have 6 weeks of pretty much bowhunting only and by the end of it I whooped. This year especially because I didn't see that many deer and the weather this last week sucked. But I'll probably go out a few more time by the end of the year.