Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does your state? >

Does your state?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does your state?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does your state?

In WI, we get 3 tags with our bow tag. 2 anterless and 1 buck. I live in earn a buck zone so I have to have a sticker for my buck. You can also purchase more anterless tags for like $2.00 too.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

npockat32 how many extra doe can you get
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my WMU in PA, yes.....I have the tools I need. I had to recruit a few friends and family over the last 2x years but I honestly think I have things in check now if I can continue to kill 2x does for every buck killed. This year we finally saw a difference. Between Dan and I we have seen 7 different antlered bucks on the property and 8 different does (taking fawns out of the mix). Things are finally in balance.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

npockat32 how many extra doe can you get
Well I am in earn a buck zone so you can get unlimited number of tags for 2 dollars if you want.

Hunters in EAB and Herd control units can get tags for 2 dollars and as many as they want.

Hunters not in these zones have to pay $12.00 for a anterless bonus tag.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 AM

Yes. Minnesota sets bag limits by smaller areas or pretty close to county lines depending on the estimated deer populations. You can take one buck no matter what but up to four additional does in "intensive harvest" areas and two more in "managed area." In "lottery areas," you get one deer total and have to draw for a permit to take a doe by firearms.

Many people from other states I've talked to think that's too complicated a system but it sure seems to work and keep the overall herd number high and healthy. That's Minnesota's philosophy and most hunters surveyed have prefered they like that. They'd like to shoot big bucks but they don't necessarily want governement dictating that. They'd prefer to set their individual limits.

My own specific example of how the Minnesota system is working. Three years ago, there were does everywhere and we could take up to three deer total in my area. I've noticed fewer deer each year since then because the does were getting slaughtered come gun season. If its brown its down. This year, the DNR only gave out a limited number of doe gun permits in my area and they cut the doe harvest by more than half of what it was last year. They'll probably do the same thing next year, which means that our local numbers should be great once again befoe you know it.

On a sidenote, there was a dramatic increase in youth licenses and registered youth deer this year in areas that were reduced to one deer total which translates to grown men illegally shooting deer for their children. The DNR's response, well, perhaps next year it's buck only and you just screwed youth hunters out of their first chance at a deer. "Dad, a deer! Can I shoot? No son, we have to wait for the buck that my never show."
Old 11-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

In oregon you can only get 1 general season buck tag...........THATS IT!...........
Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:38 AM

In my opinion, no. We're only allowed one deer per year; buck or doe. We've got a huge population of does and a small (in comparison) population of bucks. I don't think I could spend the next ten years shooting just does and make even a small dent in their population.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

What exactly do you mean?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like Minnesota's way of doing things when it comes to deer hunting! They need to move the gun season back a week or two so we don't loose so many of our little bucks each year. The buck doe ratio around my neck of the woods is terrible. Lots of doe's and not so many bucks from what it use to be.

Quick Reply: Does your state?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.