HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Huntings healing properties??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/218372-huntings-healing-properties.html)

MOTOWNHONKEY 11-18-2007 08:30 PM

Huntings healing properties???

Guys, after loseing my Dad in June the last two months in the woods have really uplifted my spirits. With tons of time sitting and thinking about the things we did together and the pranks we pulled on each other all thru the years, it brought back many memories of happy times. I have looked to the sky and smiled, I have looked to the sky and cried. I stoped under the seasons first full moon and looked at all the billions of stars in the lords sky and wondered which bright spot my farther was.
I can hear his voice as clear as day in my mind while sitting in my tree. Though I long for his pat on the back anduplifting words, being in Gods creation sooths my soul and puts my mind at ease. If we listen hard enough I think creation will speak to each of us and bring us the comfort our hearts desire. Huntings healing properties?? I think so.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-18-2007 08:54 PM

RE: Huntings healing properties???

I think so too Chris and I appreciate and thank you for that post. It's easy to forget why we are out there sometimes. I'm never out there just to take a deer. There is so much more to it than that. I remember one particular sit when the first light just started sneeking in. I looked up at that same moon and with a single star shining by it I said a prayer. It wasn't a prayer for me, a prayer for a buck but it was a prayer for jmbuckhntr and all he had to endure. I prayed for peace for him and his family and God's blessings. I don't even remember if I saw a deer that morning but I was happy to be in that tree at that morning. I already miss it.

Huntings healing properties?? I think so too!

Schultzy 11-18-2007 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Guys, after loseing my Dad in June the last two months in the woods have really uplifted my spirits. With tons of time sitting and thinking about the things we did together and the pranks we pulled on each other all thru the years, it brought back many memories of happy times. I have looked to the sky and smiled, I have looked to the sky and cried. I stoped under the seasons first full moon and looked at all the billions of stars in the lords sky and wondered which bright spot my farther was.
I can hear his voice as clear as day in my mind while sitting in my tree. Though I long for his pat on the back anduplifting words, being in Gods creation sooths my soul and puts my mind at ease. If we listen hard enough I think creation will speak to each of us and bring us the comfort our hearts desire. Huntings healing properties?? I think so.
Excellent post MOTOWN! Kinda got me a lump in the throat reading it!

virginiashadow 11-18-2007 08:59 PM

Agreed Motown..Im not a church man but I do believe in something greater than us, much greater. I remember one hunt years ago. It occured around the day after my wife's grandfather passed away. I shot a doe that morning that was around 2 other yearlings. As I walked up on her, she had a small amount of milk dripping off her chest. I remember feeling terrible, considering that my wife's grandpa had just passed. Here I was taking the life of something that was giving life. Then it hit me.... the circle of life, the balance, the struggle, and my place in it...afterwards I felt very peaceful. I told my wife the story and we agreed it was a very spiritual hunt.

NY Bowhunter 11-19-2007 03:40 AM

Good post Mottown. I've figured out a lot of things that don't pertain to hunting while sitting in my treestand. Have had a lot of conversations thoughts and prayers as well. Just the other morning we had our first snowfall (4 inches or so). I was in my tree the wind was calm, the sun just coming over the horizon, snow falling off the limbs. I felt very fortunate to be able to enjoy such a sight that others arent' able to or don't want to enjoy.It was a peacefull feeling to be in that tree that morning. I think the woods are very therapeutic.

SouthernMDArcher 11-19-2007 04:35 AM

My father is not doing well. My goal for this year was to take a 140+ deer to mount for him. My father has not hunted in a few years due to health concerns and is always asking about what I had seen and what is going on in the woods. My son and myself always call him after each hunt to tell him the results/sightings we had.So yes, hunting does help the soul/heart. It has helped me in dealing with the fact that I mat lose my father soon. I got that 140+ buck and will give the mount to him xmas morning. Excellent post Motown.

iowabob85 11-19-2007 05:09 AM

MOTOWN your the epitamy of a hunter. We are not just out there to harvest a deer but to enjoy nature and life. It is a healing feeling being out in the timber for me also when my mother-in-law was ill it felt good to be able to get away for awhile and sit out there and think of all the good times that we had and even about the tough times that were to come. We lost her in June 2006 and even to this day I can't get in my tresstand without thinking of the joy that she had brought to all of our lives. So yes Huntings healing properties I do think so also.

jmbuckhunter 11-19-2007 05:14 AM

I totally agree that being in the woods has helped me heal from my wifes death on Halloween. I took 2 weeks off after her passing to take care of some things and to just get out in the woods and reflect and hunt. I even managed to take a nice buck the day after what would have been her 49th birthday. I came to peace with a lot that had happened in our lives over the past year and totally accept the outcome. I too shed a tear in the stand from time to time.

The woods is a great place to reflect on all of lifes troubles and blessings.

GMMAT 11-19-2007 05:28 AM

It's one of the reason I hunt....and it's a "Side effect" to deer hunting that I never experienced with any other type of hunting.

Here's a little bit of a song a guy named Ron Block wrote, Chris. He plays the Banjo for Alison Krauss's band. I've always thought this was beautiful.....adn appropriate, now.

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, a fortress in the storm
When what I wrap my heart around is gone
I give my heart so easily to the ruler of this world
When the one who loves me most will give me all

In all the things that cause me pain You give me eyes to see
I do believe but help my unbelief
I've seen hard times and I've been told
There is a reason for it all

From our previous conversations....I know your dad was your hero. You let him know that, though.....and that's all a dad could ever want.

Happy Thanksgiving, Chris.

txjourneyman 11-19-2007 05:46 AM

Motown thats the best post I've read on here in a long time. Maybe ever. I found some peace in the woods this weekend although on a much smaller scale.