Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Your Help Guys - Hit One! >

Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

DEAD DEER
Old 11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. I think that you got some guts as well as liver. You did the right thing of course by backing out. I would give him atleast till morning and then head in for him. I think he will be laying dead not too far. Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Spike

hes a dead deer but i would carry my bow in just in case you spook him. i had a buddy that hit a deer in the guts and he was still alive next day. good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a little perplexed as to how the first 2/3rds have blood and the rear 1/3 has fresh gut material on it? Trying to wrap my mind around why the entire arrow wouldn't be fairly consistent with respect to sign since the fletching obviously follows the same path as the broadhead.

In any event You hit stomach for sure........thats the only KNOWN in this instance. The fresh green sign can only come from the stomach itself so treat it as a straight gut shot animal and assume no more.

The deer will want to bed within 100 yds most likely but don't expect to find it in the first spot it lays down. Expect to possibly find an empty bed with blood, many times the discomfort will cause the animal to get up and rebed several times before expiring. You also have the possibility of no blood beyond that spot as the wound clogs and clots so don't go rushing ahead and be prepared to shoot again...ya never know.
Go slow, don't expect a bunch of blood and with or without any sign he should be laying fairly close by and hope a dog, coyote or something else doesn't push him out of his bed because there is the possibility of a long bolt somewhere with no sign in between.

I'm not going to paint a rosy picture I'm sorry.......most likely the deer is dead by morning but the recovery has the potential to be tricky so go slow and above all else don't panic. If you find yourself with no sign, remember your brain is considerably bigger than his (I assume ) so break it down piece by piece and eliminate possibilities.

Here's hoping you walk right up to a stone dead deer with some gastric artery or livercut or something, but prepare yourself mentally for a puzzle. The stomach is a big organ especially if he was feeding heavily and even quartering away its easy to hit it and ONLY it.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I'm a little perplexed as to how the first 2/3rds have blood and the rear 1/3 has fresh gut material on it? Trying to wrap my mind around why the entire arrow wouldn't be fairly consistent with respect to sign since the fletching obviously follows the same path as the broadhead.

In any event You hit stomach for sure........thats the only KNOWN in this instance. The fresh green sign can only come from the stomach itself so treat it as a straight gut shot animal and assume no more.

The deer will want to bed within 100 yds most likely but don't expect to find it in the first spot it lays down. Expect to possibly find an empty bed with blood, many times the discomfort will cause the animal to get up and rebed several times before expiring. You also have the possibility of no blood beyond that spot as the wound clogs and clots so don't go rushing ahead and be prepared to shoot again...ya never know.
Go slow, don't expect a bunch of blood and with or without any sign he should be laying fairly close by and hope a dog, coyote or something else doesn't push him out of his bed because there is the possibility of a long bolt somewhere with no sign in between.

I'm not going to paint a rosy picture I'm sorry.......most likely the deer is dead by morning but the recovery has the potential to be tricky so go slow and above all else don't panic. If you find yourself with no sign, remember your brain is considerably bigger than his (I assume ) so break it down piece by piece and eliminate possibilities.

Here's hoping you walk right up to a stone dead deer with some gastric artery or livercut or something, but prepare yourself mentally for a puzzle. The stomach is a big organ especially if he was feeding heavily and even quartering away its easy to hit it and ONLY it.

Great info and post right here!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM

Same thing happened to me and my deer was still alive the next day. i never did find it either. he should be dead. good luck.

ORIGINAL: sea_bee77

hes a dead deer but i would carry my bow in just in case you spook him. i had a buddy that hit a deer in the guts and he was still alive next day. good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

dead deer a liver gut shot you should find him in the morning
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

What does that Matt/PA guy know about stuff like this???

Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Same thing happened to my wife last week shot the buck he ran about 30 yards stopped and then walked off. She got liver and guts found him about 100 yards away the next morning. He dead get him in the morning
Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 PM

I hope you find him Ed. Take plenty of toilet paper. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need Your Help Guys - Hit One!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.