Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DECEMBER AND JANUARY >

DECEMBER AND JANUARY

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DECEMBER AND JANUARY

Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Default DECEMBER AND JANUARY

WE ALL KNOW THAT THE RUT IS THE PRIME TIME TO BE OUT IN THE WOODS, BUT CAN YOU STILL HARVEST HIGH QUALITY BUCKS IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY?

RICH
Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DECEMBER AND JANUARY

Of course you can. The young and dumb ones will have been thinned out by the gun crowd. The smart ones survived. (how do you think they get so stinking big )

But now it will be time to concentrate on high quality food sources and quick Carbs ( read find corn)

Find the winter yards.For the most part you'll have the woods to yourself. After gun season the weekend warriors lose interest quickly!It can actually be easier hunting..but unfortunatley the demands of Christmas and the Holidays limit the amount of time even the most dedicated, "family" guys, can get out.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Late season is my favorite time...besides the pre-rut The woods are quiet and cold...most people quit hunting and you can concentrate on being a deer killing machine! Love it.

shadow
Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

YES!
Is it wrong that I can't stop smiling now? I had almost forgotten about how peaceful the December woods are...until the infamous 'thwack' of an arrow busting through a deer.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I can't wait for it, much easier to track.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know its a rare year that you won't catch me in the woods on the day after Christmas when second season comes in.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely. Shed and I have talked about this before.

Personally it is my favorite time to target SPECIFIC mature bucks. They get back into their winter range and are the most patternable this time of year.

The rut is a great way to catch a mature buck on his feet, but if you are targeting a certain buck, it can be more difficult to have an encounter with him.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 AM

The late season can be as good hunting as the pre rut if you can pattern the deer.
They're more predictable in their travels to food and warmth.
On really cold days look for deer bedding on South facing slopes to suck up the sun. Also cedar bottoms hold heat and provide edge for travel.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

My brother zipped a 140" whitetail a few years back in late December here in Minnesota. I've seen alot of bucks chasing doe'salso late in December, there shootable but a little bit tougher to hunthere where i live because they getspooked and ranso hard during the gun season in November.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes...

Quick Reply: DECEMBER AND JANUARY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.