Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moving to a new area/state due to hunting. >

Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moving to a new area/state due to hunting.

Don't come to Indiana, we have small bucks and the women are ugly...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

guy ky starts bow sept 4th ends jan 26 i think you get up to 6 deer i think

indiana is oct 1st to jan 6th andyou get four deer in a my county and can go from county to county and get p to like 400 does in a season
Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It wasn't that long ago that I was in the same situation as you. What I did, was set my priorities in life straight. Even as important as hunting is in my life, family, god, and personal life is still a higher priority. So I decided, that I want to eventually raise my kids and live in a rural area. I wanted to become a part of a community both personal and religious reasons. And personally I was much happier being in the country, in the slow lane, and getting back to some of the basics of life that I grew up with as a farmboy. And after all of that there was hunting... my biggest passion outside of all of the above. Everything pointed back to one place.. my hometown area in rural Kansas.

The hardest part was finding a good job(which I eventually did).But I stillcould be making twice money in the city working for some big corporation...but that wasn't my biggest priority. If I had to give any advice, I would say, first get your priorities in line. Then make a choice which would accomodate all of those the best. Then try hard to make it happen. It'll be tough, but worth it all in the end. Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Lilly is in Indianapolis is a huge drug maker.
Where I teach, my health insurance is $1.00 per year. Vision is $5.00 per year. Dental is $7.50 per year. You start out around 33-34,000 and after 20 years you are maxed at 65,ooo but you still get the yearly pay raises that are around 2.5 to 3 %. Not all schools are like that but some are better around Indy. Plus the nice deer.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

indi is a nice place, i live in appartment there most of the time. but where i really live, SW michigan by the lake is a nice place. the lake is beautiful and there some good deer...but i dont know how they compare to the deer in other areas. taxes suck tho.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, no big deer in MD, move along, nothing to see here folks,

good luck, hope you find what you are looking for
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

I was just thinking a bit about my future and where I will end up once my girlfriend graduates. I like the state of Pennsylvania, and the abundance of rural land in my area. However, I don't believe my girlfriend wants to stay, and I know she'll never move to the midwest for my love of hunting, so I'm wondering where I could move and still enjoy being able to hunt as much as I do now. Maryland is attractice due to the lengthened season and liberal bag limits, but I don't think it will compare to PA (no offense MD people).

So, for all of you guys who are now well established, how far are you from your hometown area? Did availability of hunting ground/quality of hunting influence your move at all? If so, how much? I'm curious, because I believe many of us are very serious about this sport, and enjoy it immensly, so it would only make sense that it would influence our decisions on where to move to. Let's hear your thoughts...
I can always appreciate a fellow hunter wanting to be set-up with some good hunter ground, but I think that you can find good hunting ground pretty much anywhere and maybe other things such as your job opportunites, standard of living, the climate you would like and relationships that you have such as your girlfriend would be more important factors in deciding where you live.
Kevin1 stole my response, as I was going to say that you would hate MN, but I can't lie, it is a great place to live, great people, 4 seasons, white christmas's most of the time, tons and tons of public land, much private land to purchase inexpensively and IMO, the best combo of hunting and fishing in the U.S! 10,000 lakes is just the start for fishing and 3 million acres of state forrest just the start for hunting.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Yeah, no big deer in MD, move along, nothing to see here folks,

good luck, hope you find what you are looking for
What a sleeper State...geez

I may be the only guy in the world planning a trophy buck hunt to MD.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I was just thinking a bit about my future and where I will end up once my girlfriend graduates. I like the state of Pennsylvania, and the abundance of rural land in my area. However, I don't believe my girlfriend wants to stay, and I know she'll never move to the midwest for my love of hunting, so I'm wondering where I could move and still enjoy being able to hunt as much as I do now. Maryland is attractice due to the lengthened season and liberal bag limits, but I don't think it will compare to PA (no offense MD people).

So, for all of you guys who are now well established, how far are you from your hometown area? Did availability of hunting ground/quality of hunting influence your move at all? If so, how much? I'm curious, because I believe many of us are very serious about this sport, and enjoy it immensly, so it would only make sense that it would influence our decisions on where to move to. Let's hear your thoughts...
I can always appreciate a fellow hunter wanting to be set-up with some good hunter ground, but I think that you can find good hunting ground pretty much anywhere and maybe other things such as your job opportunites, standard of living, the climate you would like and relationships that you have such as your girlfriend would be more important factors in deciding where you live.
Kevin1 stole my response, as I was going to say that you would hate MN, but I can't lie, it is a great place to live, great people, 4 seasons, white christmas's most of the time, tons and tons of public land, much private land to purchase inexpensively and IMO, the best combo of hunting and fishing in the U.S! 10,000 lakes is just the start for fishing and 3 million acres of state forrest just the start for hunting.
It is hard to beat the land of 10,000 lakes in the overall quality of life...andyes there are alot of big bucks to be had in this state with almost endless land available to the public

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Yep, my relationship is more important, which is why I may end up moving I really like it in my area...lots of rural tracts of land, miles upon miles of trout streams, high pay (for a teacher anyways), etc. I know this isn't the only place like this though, so we'll see.