Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cat's out of the bag now.... >

Cat's out of the bag now....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cat's out of the bag now....

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Cat's out of the bag now....

First year deer hunting, don't generally talk about it much with people outside of my hunting circle, and especially don't talk about it at work (not for any reason other than I'm at work).

Well today I brought in a huge batch of crockpot venison chili cooked for about 10 hours using a cubed up roast from my first doe ever, and my god it went so darn quick! (admittedly it was quite awesome!). I intended to feed my group but within no time everyone else was coming up asking what it was.....when I told them it was venison chili, most hesitated, but ALL loved it! One guy turned it down. As he was walking away he asked if I killed it myself, and when I said yes he turned around and said 'well now I HAVE to try it'! He loved it!

I already have orders for more, as not everyone got a taste! HAHAHA

Oh, and I didn't mean for this to be a 'recipe' type post, it was more of a 'now everyone at work knows I'm a hunter, let's see how they act/react'.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cat's out of the bag now....

talk is cheap! Put up a recipe or shut upa you face!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Good story, bud. Congrats on your first deer too.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM

This isn't another one of those chili bean recipes that forgets the BEANS, is it?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:21 AM

nope, had beans. here's the version of the recipe (actually a combination of 3 different recipes I found online) I used, with 'guy' amounts of each, none of this 1 1/2 teaspons of this, 2 1/4 tablespoons of that, just put as much of each as you want, depending on what u like. I was scared, cause I never made chili before, but it was so easy:

- probably a 2-3 pound roast, trimmed up and cubed into small, med. and large bite size pieces
- lots of onions. I like onions. about 3 or 4 med sized jobbies.
- one medium red pepper, one smaller yellow pepper
- one 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
- 2 cans of kidney beans, bigger than 8oz but don't really remember the size. normal size, not big ones
- 3 cloves of garlic, cut up but noticeable in the chili (several 'is that garlic?' q's came my way)
- chili powder, cumin, italian seasonings, seasoned pepper, seasoned salt
brown the venison just until you don't see any blatant raw coloring, but not more than that. then toss ALL this stuff into a crockpot, mix it up and cook on low for 8, 9, 10 hours. THAT'S IT!!!!!! enjoy!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Love sharing with coworkers, but sometimes you have to wait to tell them whats in it, lol.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back when I "worked" I brought in sloppy Joe/BBQ made from a Black Bear I shot. Everyone knew I was a Bowhunter though.
I "thought" I had brought in enough for all 3 shifts-it only made two. Everyone thought it was great except ONE. I did NOT tell them what it was madefrom until the next day. I also had a cookout at my home last summer & made a big batch of hamburgers on the grill from a Elk Ihad taken. I never told anyone & no one ever said anything about different taste. They were ALL EATEN....

Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 PM

I had a girlfriend one time and fed her spagetti made from deer. I told her what it was a few days later, and then I didn't talk to her for about another 4 weeks. She was not very happy. I was not too disappointed though. She was hotter than the sun, but not that bright.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stevencm

I had a girlfriend one time and fed her spagetti made from deer. I told her what it was a few days later, and then I didn't talk to her for about another 4 weeks. She was not very happy. I was not too disappointed though. She was hotter than the sun, but not that bright.
Haha i like your thinkin!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on coming out of the closet!!! LOL Nice job and continued success.

Quick Reply: Cat's out of the bag now....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.