Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall >

WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=22012
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

I NEVER get in my stand without my safety harness. I do not want to end up like that gentleman. I pray for his family.....
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Seems like the harness is like the seatbelt issue. Except I never heard anyone say "If he just wouldn't have worn that harness he would be here today".

I'll be wearing mine.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is truly sad I never am without mine
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

It's a simple matte of common sense. You might be temporarily inconvenienced by wearing it ---I don't care what your training, how old you are, whether you think you won't fall or not or have ever fallen before and nothing has happened or whether your 'military and civilian\fire rescue experience' has made you comfortable with being at heights,etc.etc......
It's very simple---you fall\you die or get seriously injured--permanently. So......take your choice. Wear it or not.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

The problem is that it really doesn't matterhow much experience you have or how careful you are. Mechanical parts are prone to failure, or come apart, no matter how well made they are, or how new they are. Maybe an owl comes flying along and decides to strafe you.Maybe you see the buck of a lifetime and just try and stretchto get that shot.Also, somebody may come along and sabotage your stand to "get even" with you, or simply because they are a radical anti hunter. Sounds ridiculous I know, but the problem is that dead men tell no tales. You have a right to hunt without a safety harness, but if you are married or have children, someday you might be very sorry for being careless. I'm willing to bet every other guy who fell, felt comfortable up there as well.

I used to feel the same way, until one day I had a ladder stand just separate on me while climbing. I didn't get hurt, but that was the point when I realized that it is better to be safe than sorry.

Ps I edited this post, was in a bad mood earlier today and it came out harsher than I intended.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Man, I hunt from 20-35 feet off of the ground and Ive never worn a harness, not while in a climber or hang-on. Ive almsot fell twice. But, Ive fallen 18' from a faulty ladder and I was fine, I did land in a bush, though !!

I think my Military and civlian Fire/Rescue experience has made me comfortable with hieghts to the point where I feel almost on the ground even at 30'.

Sad to hear. I hunt with a guy that fell out of a stand 2 years ago and broke his back. He ALWAYS wears his harnes now.
Droptine, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, but man it is just plain stupid of you not to where a safety harness when you are 20-35' up a tree. I hope I don't log on to huntingnet one day and read a thread stating droptine falls 35' out of tree. For heaven sakes, wake up and smell the coffee. Go buy a damn harness. I currently have four hang ons and a climber in the woods. Every stand has a harness connected to the tree as we speak. It's 50.00 bucks that could save your life. IMO, its just plain ignorance not to be the safest that we can be. Not only that, most treestands come with a free harness. That's what I use. So there is really no excuse not to have one and wear it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah man, it's easy to say "I'm the big, brave, macho Alpha Male - who isn't afraid of heights. I don't need a harness."

Fast forward to the day after your platform slips out and you fall 26' and crush 3 lumbar vertebrae - paralyzed from the waist down. Then, you can look your wife in the face while she sits in your hospital room and tries to figure out how she's gonna juggle work and family and changing your diapers for the rest of her life.

I really don't feel bad for guys who hurt themselves through their own ignorance. Truly though, I do feel horrible for their friends and family, whose collective lives will never be the same.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Amen quicksilver!

Droptine, no disrespect but you're a fool not to wear a harness, as is anyone else who hunts from a stand and doesn't wear one. One day, you just might find out why and we'll be reading about you.

Quick Reply: WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.