Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall >

WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Just did some math. I climb approximately 35 times per year. That's 1 trip up, 1 trip down every time. I've been hunting that much since I was 14. So, 70 trips up or down the trunk per year x 14 years = 980 runs in my lifetime.

Out of my estimated 1000 trips up or down the trunk, I've had1 major episode where my safety belt saved my hide. That's a .1 % chance of an accident if you know what you're doing. I consider myself a seasoned, experienced climber.If you climb enough trees, it will happen to you - and the bad ones will come when you least expect it.

Mygut-check incident was around 1998 - was hunting a thicket with very few trees to pick from. Well, I was tied off in ain a mapletree that was a touchtoo smooth and a touchtooskinny. A buck approached from behind, and when I stood and leaned around the tree to get a better look, the whole platform swung out to the right, right out from under me.I dropped my bow approximately 25', but the safety belt snatched me up, or I was a goner. No broken ribs or anything, just a bruised ego. Icrushed my sight bracket and ruined 4 arrows.

I've had a bunch of episodes where the platform or the seat seems to have a good, solid bite, only to have it kick out later. Bumps and bruises, but no major injuries to speak of. If you're not tied off - it's only a matter of time before fate comes knockin'.

Climbing trees is no joke. At 25' - a freefall could easily be fatal or leave you in the Produce Aisle at the local trauma center.

I plan on being able to hunt for another 30 years... So that's at least another 2000 climbs.If the past is any indicator of the future- that tells me that death will come-a-knockin' two more times. Either be ready or be prepared to pay the piper.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a no brainer for me. I've got kids 2, 3, and 5 who need me.

I feel so much more stable and balanced when I have my harness on. It's hard for me toshoot accurately without the harness because I have to devote a portion of my concentration to keeping my balance and not falling. I'd rather have 100% of my concentration on making a great shot.

When I wear a harness, I don't think about balance and falling to my death. I just execute the shot. So wearing the harness actually makes me shoot better.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

It's 2007, the only reason for an adult not wear a harness is because they choose not to... I'm out of tears.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Host of Hosts

Droptine, I have to side with the other guys here. Don't be stupid, send Planter your address and get a harness.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Spike

As one who came close to becoming a statistic I won't "EVER" be up off the ground without my safety vest on. I was fortunate to only suffer a broken wrist and some busted ribs, but it was a definite wake up call for me. My new Safety Systems Vest is probably the best piece of equipment I've purchased in a very long time. There's no excuse for not wearing one!!!! I truly hope all my fellow bowhunters take this issue seriously, and be "SAFE"!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM

I never go over 12' whit no harness
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

i will admit it i do not wear a harness i am to big snd think it would hurt me more then i helps

but and i say but i am only 12 feet high no limps below me if i fall i fall 12 feet to the soft dirt no limps or nothing on the ground with that said i am lossing weight and when i get low enough i will have a harness on .
Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I almost wore one, once. I usually put a tree-strap above my hang-ons and ladder stands, but, Ive never worn a harness. The straps are on the tree for my brother. I want him to wear one and Im thinking that Im going to buy the Harness Vest for him. Ive witnessed falls or various degrees, some fatal, some not.

Are you all aware that any fall 3x your hieght is considered a TRAUMA, or TRAUMATIC ?

Sometimes, when Im in a tree, Im thinking "man I should have my harness on, Id be much more at ease". I have plenty of harnesses, but I think that the vest harness will be easier for him.
Why are you so worried about your brother wearing one but you refuse to wear one. Sound like a hypocrite to me. Sorry to be so harsh here but you're not really making much sence. I am really surprised that so many people don't wear a safety harness. And for you bigtim, they do make harnesses for big men. It's really gonna hurt when you hit the ground. As you guys can tell this topic really urks me. Just put the damn thing on and start getting use to it. They really aren't that big of an inconvenience. A harness has never cost me a deer or even a shot at a deer.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Love heights, love thrills, danger and all of the others....... but i wear a harness.falling hurts

Quick Reply: WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.