Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall >

WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

I had the foot portion of my climbing stand fall from under me 3 times while my son and I were hunting in IL. The first time was rather tramatic. I fell forward against the tree, cut up my right ear in a couple of places and the tree knocked the hearing aid in my right ear out. I did have my safety strap on my vest harness connected to the tree.

I looked down through the grate on the foot portion of the stand and I saw my hearing aid laying the only place it could readily and quickly be found. It was laying on top of a rope strap used to secure the top and bottom of the stand together for carrying. The hearing aid land on top of the coiled up rope strap at the base of the tree. The Lord put it right where I could find it.

I was so shaken at that point that I finished the hunt at the base of the tree. I got busted by some does coming onto the oak flat from below me, but I did get to see 5 deer and I calmed down from the near fall. The other two times it fell, I pulled it up using the two straps connecting the foot portion to the top. When I got it high enough, I inserted my feet and continued to climb. It fell each time as I was bent over and reaching across my body and turning the crank handle to level the foot portion of the stand.

Bill
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love my family too much to not wear one. Droptine, if you promise to use it you can have a spare I have. I gave away 2 harnesses last year I don't mind giving away another. PM your address to me and it is yours. I only use one out of all of my stands. It travels with me.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy who fell out of a treestand and broke both wrists....His told me you will find out how much you wife loves you when she has to whipe your a$$ for 6 months!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really surprized to hear you say that Droptine. I have worked on poles for years and would never think to NOT tie myself in. Too easy to take a little nap or whatever.
I like your posts (usually) so how about strapping one on so to speak so we can hear a little more from you.

I was gonna post about 2 local tree stand accidents but we all know what the results were to some degree..

PS.. I have a harness still in the package. Love to send it to you.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Droptine.... you may be the greatest climber and high wire guy going but if equipment fails you suffer. I once bought a new stand and practiced with it in the back yard 3 or 4 times to get comfortable with it. I had owned climbers for years. This was back before full body harnesses but thank God I was wearing a belt. Both sections of the new stand failed at once dumping me from somewhere between 14-15 feet up. Fortunately my blet caught me and I ws young and strong enough to survive, right myself from an upside down position and safely extend the belt and drop to the ground with only a tummy ache. If I had gone all the way down I would have landed head first. The best highwire man in the world couldn't have avoided the fall. Do your macho thing.... we'll send flowers.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

thats sad sorry to hear it, A buddy and archery proshop owner fell out of treestand after stepping on a treestep which wasnt secure. he stepped on it, the step popped out, he fell and hit the steps below him ripped his side wide open. had to get 28 stitches so just a reminder check those steps and wear the safety harness
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

In my opinion it`s like a seat belt whichhasjust recently becomea law in Mn. if you don`t wear it you take a chance like walking down the street with your back to traffic,you might get hit,in fact the odds are probobly about the same if you know how to use a climber.Let me say I have used a climber for years and have never even slipped,I have a harness my wife baught me but have never used(also still in the package) When I get to my tree I have enough to do,not to sound lazy about it but it has never bothered me.If you want to use one do it and the odds are it will never help you,but don`t knock people who don`t??? I don`t wear eye protection when using my chain saw,we could go on and on about the unsafe things we do but if we had to wear a harness they would sell it as a package deal and I still would`nt use it.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

In my opinion it`s like a seat belt whichhasjust recently becomea law in Mn. if you don`t wear it you take a chance like walking down the street with your back to traffic,you might get hit,in fact the odds are probobly about the same if you know how to use a climber.Let me say I have used a climber for years and have never even slipped,I have a harness my wife baught me but have never used(also still in the package) When I get to my tree I have enough to do,not to sound lazy about it but it has never bothered me.If you want to use one do it and the odds are it will never help you,but don`t knock people who don`t??? I don`t wear eye protection when using my chain saw,we could go on and on about the unsafe things we do but if we had to wear a harness they would sell it as a package deal and I still would`nt use it.
He's a MACHO MACHO man.[:-] As quicksilver posted earlier, If you don't do it for yourself do it for your loved ones. If you fall and get hurt or killed I won't feel sorry for you. However, I will feel extremely sorry for your loved ones. JMHO.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

We'll send flowers to your family as well then.

YOu have "enough to do when you get to the stand"? Give me a break!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Freedom0115

YOu have "enough to do when you get to the stand"? Give me a break!
LOL!! my thoughts exactly. It takes all of 30 seconds to get my harness on. If need be, before you go to bed the night before be sure to set your alarm 30 seconds earlier to allow time to put on your harness when you get to your tree.

Quick Reply: WV Hunter Dies In Treestand Fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.