HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you guys stay calm?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/217551-how-do-you-guys-stay-calm.html)

my7pointmonster 11-13-2007 05:51 PM

How do you guys stay calm??

How do you guys stay calm when you have deer in your immediate presence, i have all kinds of trouble, i shake my heart pounds adrenaline is rushing, i cant help but shake!! i get so excited i cant hardly control it i try breathing DEEP and holding it and letting it out but it helps for about 2 seconds, anyone got any tips of the trick for me??

Thanks.
Ryan.

MikeTark 11-13-2007 06:04 PM

RE: How do you guys stay calm??

What I try to do is make my mind go and do other things,while watching the deer.....
Lets say this huge 8 is comin in from my right,is he gonna walk straight past me and give me a broadside shot,turn and walk behind me and give me that 1/4 away shot,walk around that downed tree and come intowards me giving me hat dreded 1/4 towards you shot: So when he's walking in,Plan the shot b4 it even happens, pickthe spot to draw, pick that spot where your gonna let that arrow fly,and run this over and over in your head cuz you never know he might change his mind andchange direction at the last second,And keep taking those deep breaths in the mouth out the nose........
Try that it helps meand once the shot is off then you can do whatever you need to do!!

mobow 11-13-2007 06:11 PM

I don't. ;)

Seriously, experience is really the only thing that's gonna be of any real help.

ericstacy 11-13-2007 06:13 PM

I just say "Ah there is one!" and start locking in on where I want to shoot.
Keeps my mind concentrating on the shot and not the animals size. I actually
don't even think about the nervousness anymore. There is plenty of time
for adrenaline to take over AFTER the shot.

Vabowman 11-13-2007 06:16 PM

I was just about to say what mobow said, it takes time to learn how to control it, doesn't mean that veterans don't shake and get worked up, we just do it after the shot if we want to be successful.

my7pointmonster 11-13-2007 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I was just about to say what mobow said, it takes time to learn how to control it, doesn't mean that veterans don't shake and get worked up, we just do it after the shot if we want to be successful.
Stan Potts Anyone??

Thanks for the advice i agree i just need to be more experienced, being only 17... i have the disadvantage of being young enough that i havent seen a ton of deer.

Ryan.

gzg38b 11-13-2007 06:23 PM

You've got to get into "kill" mode. Don't look at the antlers. Just focus on the spot you want your arrow to hit. Think about when you are going to draw, and where you are going to aim.

I used to get buck fever really bad (even on does!), to the point where I don't know how I even made the shot. Experience helps more than anything. Now, that I've got 8 bowkills under my belt in three years, I'm getting much more "calm". I still get excited, but it doesn't interfere with my ability to make a good shot.

KodiakArcher 11-13-2007 06:23 PM

Deep breath, line up the pin, pick the spot and remember: it's just a target.

StrikeTrue 11-13-2007 06:23 PM

I go completely nuts and cant control it, experience is starting to help though.

MeanV2 11-13-2007 06:26 PM

I am sure some of the things mentioned help, but nothing takes the place of several Bowkills under you belt. Just stay after'em, you'll beat it;)

Dan