Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you guys stay calm?? >

How do you guys stay calm??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys stay calm??

Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you guys stay calm??

When I shoot a deer w/ the bow. Its sick to say I think of things that draw my mind away from it, such as mud. I say in my mind mud, mud, mudand think about what mud looks like. I then pick a spot and shoot if the opportunity arises.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

You can also practice being all worked up. Inotherwords put all your gear on, then jog, run, etc until your blood pressure goes through the roof. Then practice like you have one shot and make it count. It is surprising how accurate you can still be, and it will help you when you are on the stand, staring at a buck knowing that even though you are worked up, the shot will still go ok.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Spike

I never consider the deer size (buck). I just put in my mind that its a Doe, and plan out the shot.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like some others have said. Experience and get some kills under your belt. But I still get worked up whenever a deer I want to shoot is in range, buck or doe. I have just learned to control it enough to make the shot.

I shoot a lot in the off season too. Then when it comes time to make the shot on a deer,I just sort of go on autopilot. When you have done it a thousand times before, you don't even have to think about it, itjust happens.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting in front of people a lot (3D, Indoor shoots) teaches you to handle a degree of pressure. I know it's a different kind of pressure, but it is still good for you. Like others have said, shoot all year long under as many varying conditions as you can. Hunting Ground Hogs, Predators in the offseason is a good way to keep your hunter senses sharp also

Dan
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

i cant describe it...but i go into what i call "kill mode" i dont focus on anything but making the shot. after i verify the game is something i want to kill, i dont focus on anything except making the shot...yardage, shooting lane, drawing, settling the pin, letting loose...

ive never really got the shakes before the shot...ive always been able to make the shot, then usually break down..even at age 12 taking my first deer with a guy that never hunted with me...he was surprised how rock calm i was...then after the shot he thought i was gunna pass out.

one thing that helps me i believe is the fact that ive had a TON of deer up close and personal throughout life...seeing a deer doesnt shock me like it does some people...having a deer up close and personal is nothing new...

my advice...get out and get deer close any time you can...then when hunting focus on making the shot..dont let your nerves take over...focus is key...but you have to get over that initial never jump..i'll admit..catching a glimpse of a deer for the first time still gets me jumpy and shakey and heart beating, but after that initial jump im a rock...

another thing that i think may help is the countless times ive pulled the trigger on other critters throughout life...i dont know..
Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

How do you guys stay calm when you have deer in your immediate presence, i have all kinds of trouble, i shake my heart pounds adrenaline is rushing, i cant help but shake!! i get so excited i cant hardly control it i try breathing DEEP and holding it and letting it out but it helps for about 2 seconds, anyone got any tips of the trick for me??

Thanks.
Ryan.
I havne't read all the replies, but I believe someone mentioned experience. I'll agree 100%. Letting deer walk, just watching them helped me when I was younger. I also immediately pick the spot I want to shoot, and tell myself "it's only a deer, if he gets away without me shooting, others will come." I'll also admit that since I took up target archery 5 years ago, and having to shoot in front of a crowd once inawhile, has helped my shot confidence and nerves immensely. It's fun out in the woods now, and I can honestly remember every detail of every shot nowadays, right down to the trigger squeeze and my arrow hitting my spot since I've learned how to stay focused.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

After the initial adrenaline rush of seeing a deer, I calm down pretty quick and it's down to business. I used to get all worked up, but experience has allowed me to control the excitement.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first see the deer and decide to shoot I mentally prepare myself. I clip on my release, pick my shooting lane, get in position to draw. I then repeat to myself: "pick a spot, draw, anchor, stay locked on the spot, squeeze, follow through" If I get particularly rattled (rarely happenes now) I repeat to myself that I've made this shot thousands of times before on the 3d range, and in the back yard.

Also, in the offseason, I will do a 100 yard sprint, then go shoot one arrow. This very closely resembles the breathing and heart rate when you have a deer come in that you want to take.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Deep breath, line up the pin, pick the spot and remember: it's just a target.
sounds good, but what did you think to yourself when that monster in your avatar was closing distance? LOL

it is just a target....that'll rip my head off if i miss.