Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lessons learned - 2007 Deer Season >

Lessons learned - 2007 Deer Season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lessons learned - 2007 Deer Season

Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Lessons learned - 2007 Deer Season

Here's a few. I reserve the right to add more as I remember them!

1. Killing a lot of deer is a lot of work.....and is NOT to be confused with necessarily having "fun"
2. DO NOT hunt when it's hot.
3. NEVER, EVER nock another arrow if you've shot a deer and you didn't see that deer go down.
4. Jeff's effective range is shorter than he thought it was.
5. The Rage 2-blade is an awesome head.
6. There's NO reason to be in a hurry. My deer will show up....and patience is a virtue
7. Never invite someone to hunt with "rules". They're either a good enough friend to be in your woods with carte' blanche shooting rights....or they're not.
8. My Allegiance will be hard to retire for the '08 season.
9. Your season can take a WONDERFUL turn in a matter of seconds
10. Big does have more meat on them.
11. A good knife is a WONDERFUL tool.
12. Easton a/c/c/'s, while expensive, are virtually indestructible and will more than pay for themselves in arrows NOT broken in deer.
13. Injuring deer sucks, BIG time.
14. Some things are better kept to oneself.
15. There are 3 types of hunters: 1) Those who have injured or lost a deer. 2) Those that have injured or lost a deer...and will not admit to it.. and 3) Those who haven't had enough shot opportunities to be a #1 or #2
16. A 200# deer, amazingly, is a pretty easy drag.
17. Deer hunting, in perspective, isn't that important. Life situations are, and we've all witnessed some of that in the forums, this season.
18. A little bit of luck will trump a LOT of skill
19. PA is a BEAUTIFUL state. Go back, often....
20. Hunt less. Hunt smarter. Have more fun.

Please add your own.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lessons learned - 2007 Deer Season

21.do not wear a new digital army shirt with the velcro name tag strip exposed in just the perfect spot forthe velcro wrist strap on your release to get caught at 3/4 draw. That's the heaviest part of the draw, and velcro hanging up and ripping makes enough noise to spook a nice doe at 15 yds.

22. be smart enough to anticipate problems like#21 before they happen and ruin a perfect shot opportunity.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 PM

not exactly a lesson learned, but neither is #19. PA is a BEAUTIFUL state. Go back, often....

21) it's fun to pee out of a treestand.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you dont learn something everyday its a wasted day.I didnt learn a damn thing I know one you forgot.I'll let you figure it out.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Develop a relationship with a local that has ablood tracking dog. They can be a blessing.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Bartender

Man jeff good stuff.
For me I go with #20 as I have been over hunting certain stands this year trying to repeat last years success and well that just does not happen if I do this.

23) Do not move.
Yep sounds simple but I still made this stupid mistake this year on a buck heading my way. If anything I got caught by surprise which turning to look and busted.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

#1 is funny. I learned that many years ago.
#4 I think can be applied to a lot more people than Jeff.
#11 can certainly make #1 a little easier.
#17 I was reminded of that again this season. It really puts things into perspective.

Although regarding # 16, deer dressing out in the 175-190# range are a &%^$# to drag. I guess the few less pounds can really make a difference. [8D]
Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

rybo:

#16 is was ALL in my head, bro!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

A straight down shot is not a good angle. Even though I easily recovered the deer, I will never shoot that angle again. If the arrow does not go all the way through, and there are a lot of bones there, then there is ZERO blood trail.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

GIVE UP??? Here it is. Lesson I leaned in your case. Never would I think that a bunch of people on the internet would support and give encouragement to someone they really dont know.This was a surprise to me being new this year to this or any other site.So I learned that there still is some good people out there.Hard to find!!!

Quick Reply: Lessons learned - 2007 Deer Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.