Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Super deer.  Strongest deer ive ever seen >

Super deer. Strongest deer ive ever seen

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Super deer. Strongest deer ive ever seen

Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Super deer. Strongest deer ive ever seen

I've never heard anything like that before. I could see maybe the arrow creating a seal in the lungs allowing the deer to live longer, but if the heart was damaged that deer should have been dead.

Amazing.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crazy,

Reminds me of stories of the guy the cops shoot 18 times and he still keeps coming or similar war stories.

I'm thinking along the lines of self-sealing - was it a pass-through or was the arrow in the deer?

Maybe the deer had a super dose of coagulant.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

Crazy,

Reminds me of stories of the guy the cops shoot 18 times and he still keeps coming or similar war stories.

I'm thinking along the lines of self-sealing - was it a pass-through or was the arrow in the deer?

Maybe the deer had a super dose of coagulant.
Thats what throws me, a perfect clean pass through.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Here's a quote from an article by Russel Thornberry:
"Hunters are often mystified by the distance their game travels after being hit with a lethally placed arrow. The sharpness factor plays a big role here. I have seen white-tailed deer survive center lung shots, and in one case, even a center heart shot, because the broadheads used weren’t shaving sharp. You may think that I’m assuming that those heart- and lung-shot deer survived, but I’m not. In the case of the center lung-shot animal, it was killed by an automobile two years after it was shot through the lungs with a dull broadhead. The broadhead and 10 inches of the shaft were still in the buck, positioned right in the center of his lungs. His wound had healed completely, and he seemed to be in otherwise perfect health when the car hit and killed him. He was butterball fat, too. The heart-shot doe was shot later by a rifle hunter, also two years after an arrow passed through the center of her heart. She too was healthy and fat, showing no evidence of ills due to the 6-inch section of aluminum shaft still in the center of her heart. In both cases, dull broadheads failed to do their jobs. There was minimal hemorrhaging, and both animals survived. Shot placement is critical in bowhunting, but unless your broadhead is shaving sharp, a perfectly placed arrow may not get the job done."
The article is available through the buckmasters web site, and every bowhunter on the planet should read it. I am not accusing Burnie of using a dull broadhead, but maybe the style of broadhead was a factor here. I also make this post to give readers an idea of what a whitetail is capable of. Is it possible that Burnie's arrow carried some material such as fat or hair into the wound channel, partially sealing the plumbing leaks?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I`ve been hunting a long time and never heard anything like that!

seen shots that i thought would put them down quick only to find them much futher than what i thought? But an arrow going through both lungs and the hart? And she still made it through the night! WOW!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

I have seen it in person. I shot a buck with a thunder head back in the early 80s. A shot as you mention Bernie. He lived not one day, but two days. I jumped him twice. My oldest son finished him off with a rifle. It sounded just like what you mentioned. Layed up over night. I jumped it the next morning. Came back that afternoon, jumped him agian. Finally, my son was out with his 270 and shot the buck. When we cleaned it, the heart had a arrow thought it, but had a plug of blood cloggin the hole. One lung had folded, and only the bottom of the other lung was messed up. The bullet blew through both shoulders and finally droped him.

Your story is only the second time ive ever heard of this. And ive been hunting for over 50+ years.

I have also seen men with holes through them live for days before the medics could get them to the M.A.S.H.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM

that is awsome ive seen my dad shoot a deer with a 270 and he blew out his heart and he ran 100 yards then fell but never that long.lol
Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Took a "Wounded Warrior" out fishing this summer that had been shot by a sniper in Iraq... clean through the head!! He wasn't 100% but he was fully functional and able to talk at what I'd consider 90%. If you didn't see the scars you wouldn't believe it. Amazing!!
Old 11-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

hold on?? double lung..and center punched the heart?? wow..im not going to talk you
down on that, but that is almost impossible to double lung and center punch an animal
and it live....impossible. im sorry. with a broadhead through the heart...no oxygen because
lungs are punched through too no animal will survive..30sec...at most..i think u hit one lung
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 PM

This just goes to show that the word "Impossible" is way over used.

Quick Reply: Super deer. Strongest deer ive ever seen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.