Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Uncle

Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Uncle

That's it ...... I've had it [:@]. Not really, but I need to vent for a moment before I head to the woods this morning. One of the most bizzare, frustrating, cool, weird, aggrevating, mentally torturing seasons I've ever had.

Yet another close (very close) encounter with a big buck. Sitting 30 yards inside the woodline off a clover field. I've stayed away from this entire chunk of landsaving it forthis last week of bowseason. I know what roams back there so I decided now is the time.

About half hour before dark I spot a big 10 pointerabout 150 yards away in the field. I watch him for 5 minutes or so and come to the conclusion he's working away from my stand. I hit the can a couple times and he trots right towards my stand and stops 40 yards away from me!He's eyeing a heavy doe trail and looks like he's heading right for it. Holy $&*# I grab my bow and say to myself I can't believe it's FINALLY going to happen this year. After he checked out the woods for a minute or so he heads to my right. I swing my head around the tree keeping my eyes on him.... said to myself ok he's coming in on my right. Then he turns and heads to my left. I swing my head around the tree keeping my eyes on him... said to myself ok he's coming in on my left. Well he did this for the last 20 minutes of light. He was out there in the field 40 yards away pacing back and forth like a lion![:@] That buck just would NOT come into the woodline for anything. I had good wind. I was concealed perfect. It was a picture perfect situation. No clue why he didnt' want in the woods.

Ya know what happens next don't ya? Well I did too and I felt like puking because I knew it was going to happen. It got definite dark thirty and I hung my bow on my hanger and sat down. I put my head in my hands in half disgust/depressed combination. While I have my head in my hands with my elbows on my knees during my pity party I hear the infamous crunch crunch crunch. I take a quick peak .... yep it's him. Go back to my fetal position and just listened to him walk away.Sat in my tree for about 45 minutescontemplating the meaning of life [8D].Realistically could be the last chance at a deer like that. That's 6 encounters on shooter bucks similar to this one. I just can't close the deal.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 AM

Default RE: Uncle

Wow! That sounds like a great hunt to me. Now get your arse back out there and close the deal...

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try again tomorrow. It will come together and be so much sweeter after the close calls.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I had sometiing similar happen on a PA buck this year. It's the chance we take when we vocalize to a deer. We give away our position in hopes of luring him in......but when he gets close and sees no evidence of the deer making the noise......he buggers up. Can't blame him.

I wish you luck from her eon out. Sounds like you're all over them.....or vice-versa.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

It must be your breath. LOL Been there .... done that NY. The onlyconsolation I can give is that in 20 years you'll still remember that story and be telling it like it just happened. Even old age won't rob you of that memory.[8D] Sounds like a great hunt to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why didn't you use your grunt tube? Oh..........nevermind.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

All joking aside, the bad news from this story appears to be that the bucks in the Southern Tier haven't really gotten into the rut yet. That means that probably the gun hunters are going to have a picnic come Saturday morning. I'm coming down to do a little bowhunting Thurs and Friday. I would have spent a couple more days at it but I've just been on the go too much. I'll give it a couple last tries between golf and messing around with the guys the last two days. I've been seeing deer in the fields around here at high noon but never with a buck in tow. It just isn't right. Heck, it's the 13th of Nov. The 14 should have been the peak and it's almost like we aren't going to have a rut.

P.S. I agree with Farm..., you should have tried your ****tty grunt tube. LOL
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 AM

start shooting your bow at 40 yards
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 AM

i could tell ya but it would make me a laughing stock....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brother..you're singing to the band.

It's been an awesome year, with nothing but memories to show!

Quick Reply: Uncle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.