Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois?? >

Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Anyone from Iowa, Kansas, Illinois??

Around thanksgiving is a great time to hunt Iowa . The buck in my picture was taken at thanksgiving
Old 11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

My uncle and 7 of his buddies are heading to Iowa the thursday after thanksgiving. They go evry year the week after thanksgiving and hunt a week. Every trip they bring bakc at least 1 170+ buck home.
It must be nice...
What's nice is How do they draw tags every year?

Dan
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know for sure but i dont think they draw tags. I dont kow much about other states regulations. They know a guy up there and he lets them hunt evry year. What a buddy. I dont know if you still have to draw do you?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know for sure but i dont think they draw tags. I dont kow much about other states regulations. They know a guy up there and he lets them hunt evry year. What a buddy. I dont know if you still have to draw do you?
Yes you do have to draw. I was told it takes2 to 4 years to draw. They must really have a buddy

Dan
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Yes you do have to draw. I was told it takes2 to 4 years to draw. They must really have a buddy

Dan
Somethin sounds fishy.....[:-]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fishy??[&:]I just need a Buddy in Iowa

Dan
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Is the budy a farmer?? If it is like Kansas they can transfer land owner permits to other hunters from out of state....
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Coming from a PA hunter lucky enough to hunt Illinois earlier this fall, this is what I experienced.

There are a TON of deer in Illinois, with all the agriculture, they can support a lot of deer and grow big racks. They have a pile of the little ones running around, way more of them than the big ones. In my opinion, where I hunted (farms a friend has permission to hunt, no fenced / managed land, but not PUBLIC land either), if you are patient, and didn't shoot the first thing you saw, you stand a VERY good chance of taking home a really nice buck. A Poper? maybe, maybe not. They are around, but they're also smart. You have to work for them.

They don't have monsters behind every tree, but they definitely have more big bucks than PA per (deer) capita.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have been fortunate to hunt IL for my whole life. The approach you and your surrouding neighbors take towards growing mature deer is the key. Like someone else has mentioned, it takes age, nutrition, and genetics to grow the big boys. Here in IL, it is very possible. There will always be a couple that grow big ,even in over-hunted areas, but when you pass on the younger dudes, you can really have something. In many areas of IL, the deer density isnt what it is in other states, but the potential is there for monsteres. Behind every tree? No way. A good chance? You betcha-with the right approach.

Hunt safe!