HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Stevens point, Wisconsin (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/217365-stevens-point-wisconsin.html)

mnbowstalker 11-12-2007 06:48 PM

Stevens point, Wisconsin

I live in minnesota right now but i will be going to steven's point wisconsin next year for college and i was wondering if anyone knew what the deer hunting was like in the area?

earnabuck 11-12-2007 07:17 PM

RE: Stevens point, Wisconsin

ton of public land in the area, along the wisconsin river and North of town. If you put your time in you should be able to do well. Also trout fishing, and grouse hunting within 30 minutes. It is a sportsmens, as well as hippies paradise, Paradox. I am sure you already know that. The college of natural resources brings the opposing spectrums together. And myself, well... I wasan avid hunting theatre major so take that for what its worth. NOw I am a teacher, more jobs. Good luck. EAB

gzg38b 11-12-2007 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: earnabuck

And myself, well... I wasan avid hunting theatre major so take that for what its worth.
Not too many bowhunting theater majors out there! It's great to be unique...:)

wingchaser_labs 11-13-2007 08:41 AM

Same as EAB said. Tons of public but you have to get way back in there to get where the big ones are. They live out in the swamps where nobody goes. I don't deer hunt here but I know a couple of guys that do. The one missed a 125-130inch ten on some public, arrow hit a branch. Also know a couple of guys who have seen a couple big bucks while they were out but no shots presented.I have gone shining for the heck of it too and we saw 3 or 4 shooter bucks/outside the ears/3 1/2 year old bucksthe one night all near public land. They are around but not in high numbers. To many people around here think if its got horns they need to put it in the dirt. Not enough big bucks or numbers of deer around here for me to spend alot of time hunting here thats why I go home every weekend to hunt. Same with ducks, there are some but not like they are back home and there is SO many hunters its not very fun at all. Great school though and I like it here. WCL

npockat32 11-13-2007 09:40 AM

I went to school for 4 1/2 years here. I grew up only like a half hour away. I graduated from Point last December and still am living here but I work in Rapids. I used to hunt public land around Point. Around the airport they have areas where you can hunt. I saw some decent bucks but nothing huge. Passed up a lot. There is a lot of other public land around that I have not gone to yet here. I usually go home to hunt which is only 30 minutes away since I have like 300 acres of private land to hunt there.

Last night behind my apartment complex saw a smaller 8 chasing a doe right in town!! There is definitely good places to public hunt. Make sure to check the city's website as they give info out on hunting near the airport which is like 2 minutes from campus.

mnbowstalker 11-15-2007 09:42 AM

thank you for the info and it is greatly appreciated

Beagle001 11-15-2007 09:51 AM

I am going to Point this year, and I tried hunting the Mead, and didn't see a deer. There was tons of sign but not a deer. I figured it was worth the half hour drive to go home and hunt the deer I knew about. I guess there are some other public areas that are less known and therefore carry better deer