Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It's a southern thang...... >

It's a southern thang......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's a southern thang......

Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 AM

Default RE: It's a southern thang......

I agree, they still out smart the dogs and the hunters a lot.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as they are kept OFF property where they are not wanted I don't mind, but when they come in to where they are not supposed to beand screw up my hunt then I have a problem with it. I spend a lot of time andmoney preparing my spots and it is inexcusable for someone to ruin my hunt on my private hunting property. Hunt with dogs and have fun but don't tread where you are not welcome.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 AM

I understand, you know that dogs can't determine this, the owners can, however, once a dog hits on a deer, it's over, the deerruns and the dog gives chase. That is why I think it will be coming to an end in the near future. Guys that dump dogs on property that's not theirs is disgusting, but many guys dump on their land and the dogs just follow the deer, the deer runs where it wants too. Not excusing the act, just stating what is a fact. This is what the game comission is reviewing I think.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In that case I think if you don't have a vast piece of property it should notbe done if there is a chance they will go and disturb others. As fun as this tradition is for some, it is not fair to others if the dogs go where they are not wanted. I like all kinds of hunting andlike to try new things (and old traditions) butI respect the rights of others first.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

You know this goes back to the old argument of "whos rights are more important" It is exactally like saying that smoking in a restaurant is impeading on your right to enjoy a smoke free meal, BUT if you stop smoking in that restaurant then arn't you impeading onthe smokers right to enjoy a cigarette with his meal?
Same principal here. If we outlaw dog hunting then we are impeading the dog hunters rights to hunt with hounds BUT if we allow dog hunting to continue we are impeading on the Still hunters/property ownersrights to a hunt/live with no dogs running across his land.... who are we to decide?... somebody is going to get screwed in the deal...
Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

You know this goes back to the old argument of "whos rights are more important" It is exactally like saying that smoking in a restaurant is impeading on your right to enjoy a smoke free meal, BUT if you stop smoking in that restaurant then arn't you impeading onthe smokers right to enjoy a cigarette with his meal?
Same principal here. If we outlaw dog hunting then we are impeading the dog hunters rights to hunt with hounds BUT if we allow dog hunting to continue we are impeading on the Still hunters/property ownersrights to a hunt/live with no dogs running across his land.... who are we to decide?... somebody is going to get screwed in the deal...
if you were talking about PUBLIC property, sure... let 'em hunt... but PRIVATE property is something entirely different...

the smoking analogy doesn't hold water either... restaurants are public places... the better analogy would be akin to someone that's not welcome or has not been invited coming in your house and pissing on your living room floor, running around and scaring the kids and taking food out of your fridge... who am I to decide??? I'm the owner of the property...
Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We don't have dog hunting on our side of the state, David.....but you're right about what gets dog hunters vs. non dog hunters riled up. WHAT IN THE WORLD is so hard to understand about keeping your dogs on your own land?????

They'll argue 'til they're blue in the face that they can't control the dogs. Fair enough.....then don't hunt close to someone's land and risk it. If someone told me that my dog would be killed if it left my property.....I'd keep my dog on my property!

Why is this a hard concept to grasp????????

It is not a hard concept to grasp, but what is hard to grasp about it is not illegal to run dogs to hunt deer on the other side of NC and in VA(even if they get off their land).And if those dogs do get off of their land the owner of the dogs can (by law)retrieve them. Even on posted land I can walk, unarmed onto the property and get my dogs, it is legal (VA laws, NC laws vary county to county and many require landowner permission to retrieve unless you are on a right of way). But in VA I can walk on unarmed,if I want to drive I have to have landowner permission or be accompanied by the landowner or property leasee. Now I will tell you what is illegal, shooting someones dog(even if it is on your property) is a felony in most states, yes a felony, that's not a tough concept to grasp either (except for some). But hey it's OK to break some laws right, if the dogs are on your land, right, it's your land the laws don't apply to you and those stupid dogs are ruining your hunt, so shoot the dog & break the law then many of those same people that say that is OKcome on here and tell us to be ethical and moral and blah, blah, blah.Therealways seem to besome hypocritical attitudes about the lawand how it applies tous individuallywhen it comes to this topic and I callBS onthe obvious double standard.

Not directed at anyone individually just using your post as a reference about the laws GMMAT, not saying you would shoot anyones dogs.The concept of maintaing conrol of your dogs is not hard to grasp and many clubs take extraordinary precautions to avoid problems but if the dogs do get off the landno law has been broken and as the dog owner a person has the right to retrieve them. I'm not saying it is a perfect system either, but it is what it is.

But because of the "imperfections" in the systemI do believe dog hunting in VA an NC will eventuallybe regulated and controlled (similar to other states like Georgia an Florida) and for many of us that won't be a problem and for others it will. They will get fined and ticketed for losing control of their dogs or having "dogs at large" repeatedly and I won't feel sorry for them and furthermoreIthink regulatingit will eventually help the dog hunter and dog hunting clubsto be more organized and hopefully improve our image by getting rid of some of the bad apples.

I think many of the people opposed would feel at least a little differently if they hunted with asafe, organized group of guys and got to experience first hand the comradery of a group hunt and "club" enviornment. I took a guy last season who was stationed with my brother dog hunting for the first time. He is from Michigan and said that they don't dog hunt and he had a lot of "stereotypes" in his head about dog hunting. By the end of the day he had killed one deer and been given the slip by a monster 8and couldn't believe how much fun he had. I am not saying I turned him into a dog hunter but he at least can speak from a "positive" experience about it now and he really had a good time.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I have killed many deer in front of dogs, do it every year, it's not as easy as some think, but let's be truthful, it is much easier than bowhunting or still hunting.
To be honest I don't think killing deer is hard regardless of the weapon or style. I can kill deer with my bow, blackpowder, rifle, shotgun. I don't honestly think one is "harder" than the other, they are just different and require different tactics depending on what yhat you are doing. Bow & blackpowder you obviously have to get closer and worry about scent more, and those kind of things but on the positive side the deer are much more patternable early season, there are less hunters in the woods, you have more daylight, etc. So there are positives and negatives to each kind of hunting and you just have to get the right mix of tactics and hopefully a little luck and things usually work out. Just my opinion. I agree with you Vabowman I don't have to hunt with dogs and it wouldn't kill me if I couldn't but I do really enjoy it and look forward to every season. By the way, great post earlier Davidmil.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

It is not a hard concept to grasp, but what is hard to grasp about it is not illegal to run dogs to hunt deer on the other side of NC and in VA(even if they get off their land).And if those dogs do get off of their land the owner of the dogs can (by law)retrieve them. Even on posted land I can walk, unarmed onto the property and get my dogs, it is legal (VA laws, NC laws vary county to county and many require landowner permission to retrieve unless you are on a right of way). But in VA I can walk on unarmed,if I want to drive I have to have landowner permission or be accompanied by the landowner or property leasee. Now I will tell you what is illegal, shooting someones dog(even if it is on your property) is a felony in most states, yes a felony, that's not a tough concept to grasp either (except for some). But hey it's OK to break some laws right, if the dogs are on your land, right, it's your land the laws don't apply to you and those stupid dogs are ruining your hunt, so shoot the dog & break the law then many of those same people that say that is OKcome on here and tell us to be ethical and moral and blah, blah, blah.Therealways seem to besome hypocritical attitudes about the lawand how it applies tous individuallywhen it comes to this topic and I callBS onthe obvious double standard.

Not directed at anyone individually just using your post as a reference about the laws GMMAT, not saying you would shoot anyones dogs.The concept of maintaing conrol of your dogs is not hard to grasp and many clubs take extraordinary precautions to avoid problems but if the dogs do get off the landno law has been broken and as the dog owner a person has the right to retrieve them. I'm not saying it is a perfect system either, but it is what it is.
its not the clubs that are responsible that are the problem... its not the one or two dogs that wander onto private property that are the problem... it the guys that turn loose 10-15-20 dogs on one side of your property and run them thru it to the other side of your property where their buds are waiting to claim the deer that cross the line off of your property... its the intent of guys doing this across land that is posted that become the problem... i don't see a double standard on this at all... in my eyes, this is NO DIFFERENT than a poacher sitting in my treestand on my private property taking deer off of my land... retrieving a dog from private property and sending a group of dogs across private land to drive the deer off of it are completely different things...

that said... if they are dog hunting deer on their property, hey, knock yourself out, wouldn't bother me at all, but don't expect most landowners to sit by idly and allow someone to dog hunt their land without their permission even if the deer are being killed off of their land...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Lknchoppers, I think thta's why they met this summer to discuss the sizes of blocks they can use dogs on. I said before, if they ban it, so be it, if they don't I will join in!!

Quick Reply: It's a southern thang......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.