Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What the buck is going on in NY???? >

What the buck is going on in NY????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What the buck is going on in NY????

Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What the buck is going on in NY????

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I have said on numerous occasions that the rut in NY occurs more often during shotgun season then not. This year looks to be the same.

When is that?
Gun season starts Sat.
I agree with you atlas, however we still have seen mature bucks out and cruising on does the last week of season consistently over the last 3 years. I will say the last 7 days of the archery season things pick upconsiderably with 1.5-2.5 year olds chasing everywhere and the occasional 3.5 popping up. Maybe I'm selfish.....but I'd love to see NY extend their archery season a week and push the shotgun season out a week. My place in northern PA is the same way, we only start to see the big boys start to really come out during daylight the last 3 days of the season or so. I'm sure this week in PA (now closed) things are really picking up. At least PA is completely closed during this phase though instead of having the bangsticks out there when it's prime. I'd also love to see PA start a week later, and close a week later for archery.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

So it's not just me.Saw some chasing last Saturday morning. I can't remember when I have seen less rutting sign.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm totally confused this yr. 7m, Cortland Co. is where I bowhunt Southern Tier. I've been off work past wk, and this wk. Been bowhunting down there every wknd since 10/13. Scraping was behind close to 2wks in my woods. It never really showed up until 1st wknd Nov. Saw few more fresh scrapes last wk, then this past wknd all coverd over, and no new ones. So I had feeling rut was happening. But then my son & I both saw doe with fawns yet. I've seen nothing but small scrub bucks wandering woods. Not a mature buck seen yet. We always see a mature buck or two. Now my brother is down there, and called me lastnight. Said he saw 4 deer bedded down from his stand. He called to them everyway could think of w/ no response. They got up near dark, and turned out to be 2 doe, and 2 small bucks together! That seems kinda odd to me for this time of yr. We haven't seen any chasing at all, and most always do. I'm totally stumped right now. I'm heading back down tomorrow to finish archery, and start of shotgun. Been 1 odd season so far.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Buckalley,
It sounds like you are having the same exact season as me. I have friends in stuben county and they feel that their rut ended. They feel that theirs was around oct 31. It has been the oddest year to date.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I have said on numerous occasions that the rut in NY occurs more often during shotgun season then not. This year looks to be the same.

When is that?
Gun season starts Sat.
Makes sense, same every year, the 15th of Nov give or take a year, seems right on time...unfortunately our season ended last Saturday. Lot's of people not see them this year yet. Just yesterday, the dog barked....I looked out the window, nice buck panting on my driveway..lol
Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well I am in Western NY and for me it seems like the rut just kicked in this pastweekend. I am now seeing bucks chasing does, seeing bucks while driving my car during daylight, and have noticed more lone does. This of course from my house/car as I have been awfully sick. Will be out tomorrow am though.

Been a strange year for me, my area that I hunt has gone through lots of development, with the end result of a lot less deer activity. Priority number one for next year are new places to hunt.