Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ohio rut

Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Ohio rut

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. . .this my 3rd year bow huntin' and i'm 2 for 2 the last couple of years. . .but this year im busted down to weekend hunts only because of work demands, and i'm not seeingmuch rut activity compared to the last 2 years. . .i'm usually out in Muskingum County, have been the last 2 weekend and will be next weekend for 3 days. . .any Ohio guys (or girls) got good news for me??. . is it just my area?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ohio rut

Hey man welcome to the forums first off! I just went home from school this weekend to hunt my family farm in Holmes county. I have to say that the bucks were really cruising! I saw 7 diff. shooter bucks sat. Only had one in range, a 9 pt. that would gross in the low 130's i suppose. But only gave me a hard quartering too angle at 30 yardsand i wont take that shot. But they were movin' great where i was at! Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Hey thanx, glad i found this place, and i'm glad someone's gettin' some action!. . .well i guess i'm just gonna have to try a new area this weekend, hopefully those bucks will be off the does and goin nuts by then! . ..good luck to you also!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont hunt in Ohio, but I believe the rut here in WV is a week or two behind. The deer are just now beginning to rub and scrape.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Here is SW Ohio things are pretty slow. I heard some chasing before daylight Saturday morning, but did not see anything. I think things will pick up this weekend. Here in this part of the state we have a big cold front moving through later this week. That should get them moving pretty good!!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, I think the best part of the rut is already over. The deer were moving like crazy the first week of November. Since then things have cooled down and the chasing has all but ceased. Hopefully it will pick back up as the next round of does come into heat.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

i think most of the breeding is over and bucks are looking for the last does. last week saw alot of fawns by themselves and young bucks chasing them.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Spike

Welcome to the fourm. I live in Ohio. I hunt Stark/ Tusc counties and Athens co. Our family farm is in Athens county. I think the bucks are in the lock down mode. I have not been seeing as many deer the last week as I did the 1st week of November. I saw a lot in the last week of Oct too. I don't believe the rut is over yet. I believe there are still plenty of bucks on thier feet looking for a hot doe and a little action. The best bet it to take a lunch and stay on your stand all day. You never know when he will show up this time of the year. I harvested a nice one last year on the 18th of novat 11:15 amand he was all rutted up for sure. He was all scared up and had some broken tines too. I think I will focus on the southern part of the state for the rest of the season.Good Luckand don't give up!!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I just hunted the family farm everyday in Miami CTY for my vacation. October 27 through November 10th. I only seen the same little 6 pointer twice, that was the biggest buck. Except the monster that laid a scrape in the morning darkness below me. Very little to NO movement. Last year was the same, but in all the years past, that used to be prime chasing.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanx guys. . .and for the record, I've had more encounters on the 17th & 18th (sat & sun) then the last 3 weekends combined! Including a just outta range 12 pnt who's been haunting my dreams for 2 years now -lol . . andthree 8 pointers that were all between 120 - 140. . my last encounter with the 12 pntwas on Nov. 18 last year during the youth shotgun. . .this is quickly becoming my favorite weekend . . .but i hate wearing the orange and I really need the big 10 tomove the State vs. UM game to another weekend!!

Quick Reply: Ohio rut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.