Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NBD... Nice Buck Down! >

NBD... Nice Buck Down!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NBD... Nice Buck Down!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Default NBD... Nice Buck Down!

I had to work till 2pm Saturday, I told my Co-Worker we were getting out right away, and that we did, I hopped in the car and flew home, doing about 80mph. I got home, and ran inside and got dressed for my hunt. I grabbed all the gear and headed down the road to my stand. I chose the trusy ole Lone Wolf, and thought real hard about the ASAT Blind. I climbed the tree settled in.

Temps were in the high 40's all day, and winds were less than 10mph out of the SSE. Not exactly the best wind for the stand, but I had sprayed myself down good, amd put out some estrus scent upwind of me.

About 4:30pm, I spot movement through the woods, but I did not see a head. It looked though like a buck. Just then I heard deer coming to my left and behind me a bit, I already had the bow in hand and readied for anything. Out popped two yearlings, no mom though. They fed by, walking through my shooting lanes. I look up and see a deer moving through the CRP Grass and stop. It looked like a doe, but then again it looked like a buck. I hit the grunt tube real light, he was only 50yds away. But he just sat there. I touched my rattling antlers together real light as well, and he just sat there. So I waited a bit, and got a chance to grab the binoculars. Picked them up and took a look. I dropped them back down right away, and tried to calm down a bit.

So he started angling towards me a bit, and I got ready for a shot. He was walking right into the lane that I had ranged earlier, and it was 37yds. He walked through, and I drew, and well the arrow flopped off because I pushed the arrow off the rest. I let down, and put the arrow back on the holder. I drew again. I settled the pin and checked the Spot Hogg Bubble, and it was good, the 35yd pin I put a little high, the 40yd pin right under his belly, and the arrow was gone. This was at 4:50pm.

I heard the hit, sounded good, was hard to see the arrow though. He turned and ran about 20yds, and stopped, looked around and he ran hard for 10 more yards and crashed.

I was pumped, I called my friend Bob right away, and called my dad and told him to come check him out. I got down after about 10 minutes and went to look for my arrow. It was dark by then, and could not find it. But I knew he was down. I did not even look for blood, and just walked to where I last seen him, and sure enough he was laying there down for the count.

I estimate him to have at least a 20" inside spread, he is about 3.5 years old I believe. He has about 6-7" tines as well. I did not get to measure a darn thing yet. His neck was swollen real thick as well. I am thinking probably 120's, 130's for a score.

Funny thing is, I have never seen this deer before now..

Today I went out to search for the arrow, still did not find it unfortunately. But when butchering I inspected the wounds. I hit his shoulder upon entry, and busted it up completely, and it exited where the picture shows. I was shooting a 125gr Rocket Steelhead and a 400gr PSE Radial X Weave Pro with a 64lb Mathews Drenalin!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NBD... Nice Buck Down!

Great buck, congratulations!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Hes a nice buck, Jeff! Congratulations!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!! Awesome buck.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

WAY TO GO MAN!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 PM

nice job jeff, big bodied deer
Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM

Nice buck. Good job.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

awesome buck, way to go!!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW. Congrats thats an extremely wide rack! good for you. good story.

Ryan.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

He is BIG, too bad his sides don't match up better. But a heck of a buck anyway. Congrats.

Quick Reply: NBD... Nice Buck Down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.