Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 when to throw in the towel!?!?! >

when to throw in the towel!?!?!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

when to throw in the towel!?!?!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: when to throw in the towel!?!?!

You say you are a good shot but obviously the shots you have been taking at deer have not been good. Instead of complaining perhaps it is time to try to figure out what you have been doing wrong?

What happened on the shots? Where have your arrows been missing? How were these animals positioned when you shot? Do you know where you should be aiming? Is it just a case of being too nervious?

Do you hunt from a treestand ?If yes...have youpracticed shooting arrows from it?

If you are looking for a challenge you have found it with bowhunting but are not going to become Chuck Adams in your first year.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 PM

ive been practicing shooting out of my climber alot on a 3d, i know where the vitals are on the deer its just the fact that when i stop the deer i rush the shot i guess i miss low and far back!! like liver shots!!! my bows are tuned, its me not my equipment!!! i dont know what else to do!!! thanks for yalls information and the @#!holes, a big #@$* you!!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

lmao motown. sorry it was funny. but really, try taking your time. talk to yourself while that deer is coming and as you draw back and aim. Come up with some steps that you can reapeat to yourself in the head so you remind yourself to take your time.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jquillin0001

ive been practicing shooting out of my climber alot on a 3d, i know where the vitals are on the deer its just the fact that when i stop the deer i rush the shot i guess i miss low and far back!! like liver shots!!! my bows are tuned, its me not my equipment!!! i dont know what else to do!!! thanks for yalls information and the @#!holes, a big #@$* you!!
I have shot dozens of deer and have never needed to stop one by making a noise. I don't like doing that since it puts the deer on alert. Instead I will put some type of scent in my shooting laneswhich will usually cause the deer to stop and smell while I put an arrow through em. Otherwise if they are at a slow broadside walk I will just follow them with my aim and let it fly (never had a problem with that shot).

Perhaps doing this rather than "stopping" the deer would help you relax and take your time for a better shot. It works for me.

Good luck...don't give up yet.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is your FIRST year bowhunting and you have a doe down and have wounded three HUGE deer.
I would say your doing something right but also something horribly wrong. That should be a lifetimes worth of wounded deer not that I have not missed too. Relax, practice some more and get back out there but make sure you at least try good high percentage shots..

PS.. If your hitting liver than your not looking hard enough for your deer. Good Luck.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:39 PM

hang in there man.
I know a lot of people including myself that have gone through the same ordeal
I've had such a bad season so far.
shot one last night and the arrow went through it and I could never find blood or anything.
looked for hours and hours with nothing to show for it but an arrow with hair and blood on it.

I shot and missed four times before that too.

hang in there.
it's only your first year.
remember your first year with a gun?
I do and it was just a big learning experince where i didn't take one shot and only saw a handfull of deer.
now I see fifty somthing deer a season and nother gets by me when i choose to shoot.

The biggest thing i've learned this year was how much more patience you need with a bow compaired to a gun.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: SCBigBuckHunter

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I would tell you to quit and just kill yourself but you would probably miss.
That just aint right
It aint right but its dam funny, i like you sense of humor
Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the deal. Make sure you are shooting correctly from elevation in practice. If you are, start practicing and mentally going through the scenarios you will see in the woods. Hold your bow for 60 seconds then shoot, hold your bow for 45 seconds, then bleat stop the deer, then shoot....keep trying different scenarios to start understanding each shooting situation and more importantly to start finding out your limitations. For me, I like 20 yards or less...I have taken one long shot in my life for me(34 yards) and hit/killed a buck. After I took that shot I realized that the shot felt uncomfortable for me and I have really just tried to shoot 25 yards or less ever since. Also, play with your elevation shots, sometimes the shot will be very steep, other times it will be almost a level shot...feel how the two different shots feel different. If it makes you feel any better, I struggled like hell early on.

shadow
Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

this is my fourth year hunting first with a bow my first season i was hunting ky i shot a nice buck at like 70 yards with my Mossberg 12 he was up a hill that had been logged total cleared i shot at him i missed he ran up alittle then stopped i shot again got him the second shot. There was a dirt 4x4 path that i could drive to with in 20 yards or him or walk a total of about 100 yards to get him up and down hills. so i drove when i got about half way there it became a unddrivable trail that was run over with a excavator which made 4 ft by 4ft deep ruts i got stock . When i was walking back to town a guy gave me a ride and when i got my dad and went back my first deer ever shot was going my first thought was coyotes but i have never seen a coyote eat everything including the hair and bone so i think the guy who gave me a ride went back and took the deer since it was off of a road no one used and my 30/30 was still in my truck . This year i got my first shot on a deer since with my bow even and slipped my release and shot over her . Do not feel bad it happens to all of us

stay in there and you will get one why are you just wounding them where is your shot placement what broad heads do you use . good luck

and i think everyone is being alittle hard on you
Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Missed a 130+ on mon. morn. Shot for 40 and he was at 35, went right over his back. Missed a doe at 20 tonite. Running out of lite, she SLOWLY works her way in. She takes the wrong way of course, I try a rediculous shot around the side of the tree and because my climber has a very small platform(summit openshot) I'm all jambed up and the string hits my sleeve, and I use a compression wrap. So, it does happen. Is it avoidable, yes 99% of the time its operator error. Bad judgement or decisions on my part.

Quick Reply: when to throw in the towel!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.