Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 TOO LOW OR WHAT??? >

TOO LOW OR WHAT???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TOO LOW OR WHAT???

Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default TOO LOW OR WHAT???

I think I am hunting too low im about 14-15 high and in 2 of my stands I have had deer come in and look right at me I hold still and they go right back to eating one time this happend well pulling back and a nother in the other stand well i was just siting there doing nothing. Do deer just naturaly look in trees or am i not seting up right???
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default RE: TOO LOW OR WHAT???

its probably not that your to low, but that your in a tree that doesnt have much cover. sometimes you have no choice but to set up in a tree where you have to be low. i know ive had this situation. deer just notice that somethings not right when you dont have anything to break up your pattern. if this is the case try adding something to your background to break up your pattern.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may be a combination of a few different things. Deer in you area may know about hunters, being educated by others. ANother thing to look out for is whats behind you. I try to have stands with good backdrops or something to break up my outline. And never wear MossyOak, too dark and the later it gets the darker it gets. I have seen the black blobs from 100 yrds. These are just my opinions and are not necessarily shared by the entire viewing audience.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I think you are hunting to low. Not that you can't kill one at 15 ft, but I hunt between 20-27 ft. You greatly increase the odds of not being seen or winded. But you have to have some cover around the tree your in, so your not skylined. Mature buck will wind check for does at several hundred yards away. If they can pick up hot doe at that distance, I promise they can pick you up too. Get as high as you can and there is room for error.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Probably not too low, probably the wrong "camo"...

Or both.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

It may be a combination of a few different things. Deer in you area may know about hunters, being educated by others. ANother thing to look out for is whats behind you. I try to have stands with good backdrops or something to break up my outline. And never wear MossyOak, too dark and the later it gets the darker it gets. I have seen the black blobs from 100 yrds. These are just my opinions and are not necessarily shared by the entire viewing audience.
X2
Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 PM

thick thick stuff you may have to hunt on the ground to have a shot, in wide open areas you may have to go over 20 feet. youneed to be at the level that conceals you best while still presenting you a shot.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tbone1187

I think I am hunting too low im about 14-15 high and in 2 of my stands I have had deer come in and look right at me I hold still and they go right back to eating one time this happend well pulling back and a nother in the other stand well i was just siting there doing nothing. Do deer just naturaly look in trees or am i not seting up right???
What do you wash your hunting cloths with? You might be "Glowing" with UV?

The mossy oak theory is not correct, I use it and NO problems with being a "black blob" as someone suggested, I think like most, it's a back ground cover issue or the UV in your cloths.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 AM

definatly backdrop....I hunt mostly at 14 - 16 ft up . sometimes on the floor, its all about the hide and seek game...ya got try and win !!!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

I think a deer knows what a treestand is.Using ladder or steps , b/c they can pick out a ladder very easily if not blending in with surroundings.Camo your ladder or move your stand and retry setting up and killing your outline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.