Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Incredible display of survival tactics! >

Incredible display of survival tactics!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Incredible display of survival tactics!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Incredible display of survival tactics!

I was in a tree that didn't have too much cover and on top of that, that part of the woods wasn't very thick but had mostly mature trees. Anyway, I see 3 does coming single file about 75 yards away. They approach slowly but steadily up to the point where they're 30 yards from mY tree. At that point they all stopped 'cause they spotted me in the tree. They were all quartering towards me BTW. This is where it got very intriguing...

The one in front would look at me, bob her head, then stomp as if to try to get me to move or react. Keep in mind I was wearing my home-made 3-D leafy suit and I blended right in or at least looked like the trees around me. I stayed perfectly still as she proceeded to repeat what she was doing. Here is what dropped my jaw...

As the 2 deer in the back stayed perfectly still and eyeing me, the lead doe then made almost ahalf circle to my right stopping every7 feet or so and repeating this head bobbing stomping ritual. After covering about20 yards, she returned back to the other 2 and lead them my way some more. They didn't make it but 5 yards and the lead doe "called another time-out" and proceeded to make another half circle but this time to my left. When she finished she returned to the other 2 and once again lead them my way some more. They are at 20 yards now and the lead doe is perfectly broadside.Asher head goes behind a treeI just drew because there was no way I was going to sneak a draw passed 6 eyes continuously looking at me.

And of course at this time, one of them blows... and they all bolt back in the direction they came from. SIMPLY AMAZING!!! Man, that was the longest my heart ever thumped with any deer encounters. At least 3 minutes, this took.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Incredible display of survival tactics!

I'm completely convinced that does are just as hard if not harder to kill than bucks. Bucks you really only see for a very short time(during the rut), does are out and about everyday. Thats the only difference.It would be interestin to see how well everyone would do if you targeted a specific doe and hunted her like you would hunt a specific buck.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It does make sense that mature does could probably be smarter than bucks. They are most times toting youngin's with them and come in contact with hunters 10 fold moreso than bucks do. Bucks are arguably just more elusive than does are smart. Regardless, I was awed.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep in mind I was wearing my home-made 3-D leafy suit and I blended right in or at least looked like the trees around me. I
Apparantly not or they wouldn't have been looking at you to begin with...lol [8D]

And I agree with logout, maternal does are tough, many think they are easy only because of sheer numbers...the easiest deer to take is a lone button or 1.5 year old buck.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, the reason why I thought/think the suit was doing its job of blending me in was because prior to the suit, the deer would just pick me out of the tree and bolt as soon as they did. That time and every other time since I used the 3-D suit, they never again bolted right away. 4separate timesnow where they just look up and were unsure of what I was.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm bustin yer nuts...lol

I'd say it did it's job, she offered you lots of possibilities....keep it up.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

My tree is always inbetween me and whereI think the deer are going to come from. If I get tired of standing I'm sitting on the bar of my climber not the seat. I've had numerous does and 14 bucks under me this season and havn't got busted yet. Ofcourse I havn't drawed back on a buck yet either.[:@]My paitence is wearing thin.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Hang in there, Chris.

I'm actually thinking of switching things up and doing EXACTLY what you're talking about in the future (using the tree you're IN as a shield). It makes a TON of sense! I'll be doing that very thing next Thurs. morning with Rob in a tree about 10 yds away. I have a REAL good idea of which direction they'll be coming from to start with.....but they'll also be coming back the same way, most times.

Hopefully we'll get some good footage to share.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: loogout1

I'm completely convinced that does are just as hard if not harder to kill than bucks. Bucks you really only see for a very short time(during the rut), does are out and about everyday. Thats the only difference.It would be interestin to see how well everyone would do if you targeted a specific doe and hunted her like you would hunt a specific buck.
I couldn't agree more. I was served a big slice of humble pie earlier in the season trying to harvest a doe. It would be interesting to target a specific doe. The only problem, she would have to have to distingishing (sp?)aspect that would seperate her from the rest of the herd
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm actually thinking of switching things up and doing EXACTLY what you're talking about in the future (using the tree you're IN as a shield). It makes a TON of sense!
This is EXACTLY why the tree saddle works so well. You keep the tree between you and the deer and slowly creep around the tree when it's time to shoot. I'm rarely picked off when I'm in my saddle.

Quick Reply: Incredible display of survival tactics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.